Won't shift into 3rd

kazdika

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i just finished my bike and a full engine rebuild and took er out for the first time today! Ran good but couldn't shift from 2nd gear to 3rd. Only had 1st and 2nd gear. I assumed it might have been my clutch so i removed the clutch and disassembled and it looked fine. Started playing around with the shift shaft and adjusted it and i noticed the upper change lever would not catch when trying to shift. I took off that little star shaped plate and noticed that there are only 3 dowel pins sticking out, 1 dowel pin is flush with the cam or drum and the other other is missing. Not sure if there should be 4 or 5 dowel pins??

So I hope this is the reason why. Not sure if I lost the dowel pin or was already gone before i bought it? Never rode the bike before tore it down. Bought it in pieces from the PO.

Any info on this is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 327
Welcome to the forum kazdika, it's ok, you can come out of that cardboard box now...

Whoops! Looks like you're missing a pin alright. Just as important, where did it go?

Ha thanks!

Not sure where it went. ill check my sump in case it fell in there. Might have even lost it during my rebuild.

But is that one dowel pin supposed to be recessed like that? The bike is in 2nd gear in the pic and the pin that is recessed needs to catch on the upper change lever to get it into 3rd... I think. :confused:

Attachments

• dowel pin gone.jpg
    dowel pin gone.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 323
Ha thanks!

Not sure where it went. ill check my sump in case it fell in there. Might have even lost it during my rebuild.

But is that one dowel pin supposed to be recessed like that? The bike is in 2nd gear in the pic and the pin that is recessed needs to catch on the upper change lever to get it into 3rd... I think. :confused:

I'd say you are in 5 th gear. The recessed pin with the arrow is correct. You need to replace that upper missing pin.

Make sure the change lever (claw) is equally spaced with respect to the pins. See page 55 in the Haynes Manual.

That's weird?? Because I'm pretty sure i have it in 2nd gear! Did i assemble it wrong?? When I rebuilt the engine I split the case, and put a 5th gear overdrive in.

So where can I get one of these dowel pins?

Thanks!

Back