Won't start

nobackhair

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took motor to mech. for top end leak. Says no leak but he took it on himself to advancetiming. After replacing motor it won't start. It's a 78 motor w/ Branson Ign.

Ask the mechanic about the advance adjustment he made. Boyer should be 38 degrees (full advance mark) at 3000 rpm, 17-19 degrees on idle - but remember, this all depends on the following:

1. the cam chain tensioner is correctly adjusted first; then
2. the valves adjusted (correct me if I am wrong somebody) 0.15mm (exhaust outlet) 0.06mm (inlet)
3. then the timing.

You say it won't start - is there any strange sound coming from the cylinder heads when you kick (without plugs in). One of my engines wouldn't start a while back, and a rattle sound had developed - cam chain way out of adjustment, so the timing was thrown out, hence won't start.

Ask the mechanic did he start with the cam chain adjustment, and if he did, what did he do (plenty of advice posted on adjustments).

Anlaf

Thank you for your advice. Everything was checked and ready to go. I just want it back the way it was. He said it would improve power at higher R's. I'm fine w/ preceding power it had.

Back