World's lightest Longest-lasting battery

Lots of batteries on the market. I have A123 cells in my R1 that I bought last year, which works great, but cost more than the Shorai. So far, it's the only one I found that has the same specs as a stock battery, but in tiny package with a reasonable price. The price of those other batteries goes up with the amp hour.

I'm keeping my e-starter for my cafe build, but wanted to hide the battery and electronics.

Shorai.jpg

shorai1.jpg

JamesGS4, would I be able to run this battery with bulb-type signals too? I see you are running headlight and tail light only. I have a Pamco ignition and PM alternator.

C-los you might want to put the reg/rec on the bottom of that plate. with it under the seat it will over heat. It needs plenty of free airflow.

ah so, small enough I could run 2 batteries and double cold cranking amps. Make running extra lights easy too.

You will not be able to run extra anything with that setup. You are still dependent on the alternator output for all of your electrical loads.

Aussie, The electrics will only draw what they draw. A bigger battery just lets them do it longer.
Leo

sooo? is the small Brand 12Volt 0.8AH Sealed Lead Acid Battery going to work? with the idea that ill have a "chrysler-Radio shack" reg/rec mod :p (thats how its called eh?)

old thread, but I will say that today I ordered the small Shorai the OP linked to. Almost bought the Shorai with dimensions closer to the stock XS batt, but then it occured to me I could free up room in my existing batt box to maybe have space for a couple of wiring connections to live/hide.

I killed my Mike's batt. :( Left the key on by accident for, I dunno...days and days. Now Batt Tender just flashes red, which means it's not charging. Which in the past I have learned (with other batts) probably means the batt is ruined. My fault. I'd also tried a couple times cranking it while it was attached to Batt Tender. So, my bad.

Kind of frustrating as I'd just re-rebuilt the carbs and now I can't see how it runs!

Will report back on the Shorai experience. I can't BELIEVE what a CRAP selection of motorcycle batteries the auto parts store had.

Anybody want to weigh on on the long-term performance of the little Shorai?

Well not the shorai, but I have the Ballistic EVO 2 battery for my honda rebel 250 with the same idea of saving space. The battery ran great but as I read later it sucks in the cold. Not a big deal for some who live down south but in NYC it didn't work out too well in December. Battery is now pulled out waiting for warmer weather.

Shorai had a bad batch of batteries maybe the people with trouble have one of them. I got one and they immediately sent me a new one. Mines held a 13v charge since October and was sitting in my Minnesota non-insulated garage until december when I brought it inside the house.

I picked up a Shorai battery for my build as well. It's very small, extremely light, and can be mounted in any direction. Mine was about $160 cdn. Getting on the wiring this week.

Emz, On your dead battery, most computer controled chargers won't charge a totally dead battery. They need to read some charge before charging.
Hook your dead battery to your car battery with jumper cables, DON'T start the car, just let it set for a while, then try the charger.
Leo

thanks for the idea. Am trying something which is (I hope) similar. Hooked it up to my '07 Sportster's battery via the leave-on Battery Tender harness from the Sportster - connected to the alligator-clip type Battery Tender harness to the Mikes battery. Then later I'll put them each on a Battery Tender - to bring Sporty's back up, and to see if the XS's will perhaps have gained enough of a charge to make the Tender charge it again. We'll see! thanks.

Should work. Same principle. Get a little juice in the battery and it should charge.
Leo

attaching it that way to the Sportster battery was either taking too long or not working, so I hooked the XS battery up to a 2/10/50 charger on the "10" setting for awhile. Then I hooked it back up to Battery Tender and voila! got a solid red light which indicates it's charging. Then this morning it had come up to green!
Still glad to have the other battery on order though - I'm not convinced the old battery is ok. (might be though, maybe I'll take it and get it tested)
thanks again XSLeo.

FTI, you need to use Shorai's charger. I drained my Shorai battery when I first got it doing e-start tests when I was doing my rebuild. I tired using a battery tender and it didn't work. I bought the Shorai charger and it brought it back to life. This battery is great. I forgot to disconnect my battery when it got shipped to MD and sat in storage for 2 months...it started right up. This thing holds a charge forever.

Back