World's lightest Longest-lasting battery

Question, i am interested in getting a Shorai's battery for my bike. i have a stock 81XS650SII that im trying to give a cafe "look" to it. and my stock battery is dead. Is there anything i have to worry about? will my charging system mess anything up? i read something about "overcharging"? i just don't wanna shell out the money and mess my battery or bike up?
Thanks!

Question, i am interested in getting a Shorai's battery for my bike. i have a stock 81XS650SII that im trying to give a cafe "look" to it. and my stock battery is dead. Is there anything i have to worry about? will my charging system mess anything up? i read something about "overcharging"? i just don't wanna shell out the money and mess my battery or bike up?
Thanks!

I have a Shorai battery battery on mine. Has lots of power for repeated starts etc. although I have yet to road test it. I have just upgraded my charging system to HHB PMA and a Pamco ignition. But it seemed to work well on the bench with all the OEM stuff including the electric start. I got the smallest battery I could get. Similar to this one but with more CCA.

photo-79.jpg

Found out something interesting about my Shorai batteries. I have two for the xs650. The first one stopped working (part of that bad batch) and shorai sent out a new ASAP...cool. They let me keep the old one for mock up purposes. The new one has worked flawlessly.

Interestingly, I was talking to someone at Shorai about a year later and he tells me that you can often resurrect a dead one of these batteries. My old one wouldn't charge with a battery tender, or even a good charger (which indicated that the battery was fried). The shorai rep said that if a Charger has any smart charging capability it will not charge the battery if it gets lower than say 4v. He suggested getting either their charger or one of the cheap schecter chargers from walmart.

Now my old battery, thought dead had sat out in a Minnesota Garage through sub zero winter without any charge (usually a death note for lipo's). Anyway I connected it to the schecter charger and within an hour or so I had a perfectly fine working battery. Its held a charge now for a year without problems. I've been using it on other projects but it has sat up to 4 months without losing any charge.

Anyway...hopefully this prevents someone from tossing a battery that can likely be resurrected.

Cheers.

The Schumacher motorcycle chargers I have won't charge a totally dead battery. The computer won't let them.
If I have a fully dead battery I get out my Schumacher ten amp marine battery charger. No computer in it so it will charge any battery. Let it charge about 15 minutes then hook the motor cycle battery chargers and then they will charge just fine.
The computer in the motorcycle chargers keep track of the voltage of the battery so it won't charge over 13.8 volts. Above 13.8 volts the batteries out gas. In a regular lead acid battery this boils out the water. Sealed batteries trap this out gassing and let it condense back into the battery.
This computer prevents charging if the voltage is too low.
Leo

The motorcycle chargers I have are the SEM-1562A. Fully automatic with float mode. These are computer controlled and charge at the full 1.5 amps until it reaches 13.8 volts then drops to the float mode where it only charges at about 1/10 amp. this is just enough to keep the battery at the 13.8 volts.
The marine charger has a manual or automatic switch. It is supposed to shut fully off when a full charge is reached in the auto mode, but in the manual mode it won't.
I like the SEM1562A charger for maintaining batteries. You can leave it hooked up during long storage and not worry about overcharging like trickle chargers will, they don't shut off. They should only be used for an overnight charge.
Leo

Dumb question on an old thread....

So, the ballistic 8cell battery is a 13.6v, 4.6Ah.

Why can't you use a battery like this that says its 12V and 5Ah?

I see the latter is written for security systems and such, so maybe it doesn't work under certain loads?

I run a pair of smaller, series-connected 6v variants of that battery, normally used for powering deer feeders. Started using these years ago, living in the country, had to make do. Plus, they're seriously cheap, durable and small enough (fitted side-by-side) to perfectly fit the smaller XS1/XS1B battery box, with a little foam packing. No acid leaks, hold a charge quite well, get about 5 years service life out of them, remarkable for something not made for motorcycles.

You can run just about any kind of rechargeable 12v battery, but it may function and last for years, or less than a day. Batteries made for motorcycles are designed for that rough environment, other batteries may or may not survive. Normally this would be a no-no situation. I just got lucky and mine work.

Yes, the Ballistic 8 cell is a 4.6 A/H battery. That's the lithium ion rating and is equal to a 15 A/H lead acid battery.
This battery will provide all the power you need for using the E-start.
The battery you linked to is a sealed lead acid battery and will run the bike fine but it won't have the power to run the E-start.
Leo

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone could chime in with a review of any of these batteries and maybe recommend one. I'm looking for the reduced size and advantage of mounting it inconspicuously.

So Carbon, is it what they consider an anti gravity? Sorry I'm total dumbass when it comes to electrical hocuspocus.

I was looking at getting a ballistic battery but they are dry batteries. I was reading over the Walmart tenders and they won't work with a dry battery.

Back