XS Performance head pipes?

Yes, at least the 38 mm (1 1/2") OD pipes that I have on my XS only attach to the head. And to the mufflers obviously. I got them from Jerry Heiden in Holland, but Heiden and MikesXS have the same pipes.
So if you want to run "straight" pipes and no muffler they are not the best choice. But straight pipes are crap for performance anyway, so that isn't a real problem. The "Commando" or "XS1" mufflers from MikesXS or Heiden have a decent reputation and are fairly low price.

I have MAC headpipes but they are the same way, only attaching at the head. I didn't like the idea of my whole exhaust system hanging from just two mounting points so I added a "P" clamp to the headpipes. This was added and attached where the second mount point was on the originals. I made the "P" clamps from some stainless strap .....

PClamp2.jpg

Commando-MAC.jpg

For hanging the Commando muffler, I use an original hanger bracket from an XS500 instead of the single supplied strap. This gives two mounting points to the muffler instead of just one. I use the 500 hanger because the muffler mounting holes are farther back than on my original 650 one. Even so, the second hole doesn't quite make it into the sliding track. Close enough though to supply good clamping force .....

MuffMount.jpg

SlideTrack2.jpg

Hi All: I have the rather odd situation where the mufflers on my '76 C model are in good shape but the header pipes are dented, scraped and dinged. All I need are a set of stock header pipes.

I have looked carefully at the Mike's XS site and cannot figure out which ones fit with the stock mufflers. Any guidance - anyone got a set of stock pipes that are in good shape - to sell?

Back