Xs1 1969 engine rebuild

Classics Junkie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all members, I'm a new member from the UK on the long road to coplete restoration. Xs1 1969 build.
When I got the bike the engine was removed, not completely whole.
Barrrels missing, carburettors missing tank not serviceable.
I guess I am going to have trouble aquiring new original parts or good secondhand parts for refurbishment on this early model.
I was told the gearbox bearings are not available for this year as they are different on a 1969, wondering what the workaround is, maybe machining?
Perhaps some of the uk posters could recommend a good engine builder for a total rebuild after aquiring the missing parts.

your in the right place for help and expertise , and welcome classics junki,
I to have a xs1 , yay

F9BD297F-F339-4F52-8671-D10B9026114E.png
F9BD297F-F339-4F52-8671-D10B9026114E.png
Welcome to the Madhouse.
Have you seen this?

Yes, I've tried to contact Spencer to view before the auction finishes, i Messaged him saying I could be in Reading in 1hour 30 minutes, just 15 minutes of your time, he give me the cold shoulder, he's exact words to both of my message "I'm not around".
As a reference do you know what colour or code this bike is, I had a 1972 Jenson interceptor that some colour.

Last edited:

Hi and thanks gggG for the link, your correct my bike is February 1970 registered, seem that one gearbox bearing is going to be a problem to acquire. My existing bearings are ok, just plays on my mind not to change all for them.

The good news is that we seldom hear of tranny bearing issues. Since later model bearings fit, suitable used replacement bearings shouldn't be that hard to find and it's a small enough part that shipping from the many US parts hoards shouldn't be onerous.
Depending on your goal, swapping in a complete later transmission may be a decent way to go since that close ratio (read tall first gear) isn't ideal for leisurely street use.
Dealing with an eBay vender may be a good choice since it appears they have a "reasonable" internal international shipping option.

That reassuring about the gearbox bearings,
my existing bearings seen good.
Thank you for the head up, that's a brilliant tip concerning 1st gear, not having previously ridden the bike or a xs650 before. 1st gear is missing from my original gearbox, but I have another set out of a 1970s box.
As to my intentions, I am very much a purist to my detriment, as aquiring early model parts seem difficult, replacement parts need to be as per year model.
Would my existing barrels fit on a later bottom end casing, not sure that's possible.
Many Thanks gggGary.

Back