XS1-B White fuel tank stripes

db650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a '71 xs1-b that is in need of a paint job and I'm thinking of tackling this myself. The candy gold shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure how to do the white stripes? Could anyone help me out with the following...
1) What are the dimensions (thicknesses of the stripes & gold spaces in between)?
2) What are the tricks/methods to painting these stripes to get a consistent line thickness?

I'm assuming you do the stripes by using fine line tape, then removing when tacky, but I'm not sure exactly how to get the spacing perfect with the tighter radius at the back of the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Did mine myself ,I think the masking tape was 5mm in width.
I painted the tank white first and then masked off the bits I wanted to keep white and did the red . Use good quality tape that won't let the paint get underneath it .
It's not perfect and looks better from a distance and I will probably do it again in the summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 415
I did similar method as yellowdog, white basecoat, 1/4" stripe tape (green 3M low adhesion), followed the early marketing brochures and the tank's contour lines, but mini-flake green instead of gold.

Attachments

• XS1B-GreenTank01.jpg
    XS1B-GreenTank01.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 698
  • XS1B-GreenTank02.jpg
    XS1B-GreenTank02.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 285
  • TankHarness02.jpg
    TankHarness02.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 291
these might help.

1b tank 001.JPG 1b tank 002.JPG

1b tank 003.JPG 1b tank 004.JPG 1b tank 010.JPG

1b tank 009.JPG ib tank 003.JPG ib tank 006.JPG

1b tank 006.JPG 1b tank 013.JPG 1b tank 011.JPG

I'd call the stripe and gold gap both as 7/32"

Factory did the gold over the white, most painters would probably put the white on the gold.
On the green tank I had painted we used a white with a slight touch of green a pure white was, well TOO white...

I'm thinking the House of kolor aztec gold.

1303-lrmp-06-o%2B1953-chevrolet-3100%2Bhouse-of-kolor-candy-aztec-gold.jpg

The 70-72 use a very fine metallic we used the finest house of color silver metallic.

The 73 blue is over a much larger metallic.

Tough call on the 70 one stripe or two?

70 paint2.jpg

new 72 paint done.jpg

paint stripes xs1 xs1b xs2 tx650

In my limited experience, vinyl tapes work better at conforming to tight curves, but it's easy to over-stretch and narrow the tape if you get in a hurry. I have to mask a lot of curved and irregular shapes for gap and fillet seals on aircraft parts. We use 3M vinyl tape for this. Biggest issue is, you must get it pulled when tacked, so the carrier solvents in the paint don't soften the tape too much and make it tear as you pull it. You also have to allow a full cure and clean thoroughly ahead of any clear, as the vinyl tape can leave some residue behind, especially in high ambient temps.

I think they used decals from the factory. There are companies out there that sell decal sets for the tank and side covers.
Leo

Early stripes are paint you can tell the gold is on top of the white in some of my pics.

Back