xs1 cam

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
has has any one used the megacycle's Adjustable cam sprocket - press on assembly.
looks cool can you get it without having megacycles do your cam I have a xs1 cam
and I have to change the gear and deg. it back in this would help alot.any info would help.THANKS

The adjustable sprocket from Megacycle is a beautifully made piece. You can buy it separately.

I have put them on for customers but I would never run one myself. Adjustable sprockets are useful on cams that have the sprocket bolted or keyed to the shaft. The XS sprocket is press fit to a round hub so it is already "adjustable".

Dialing in the cam timing on an XS is pretty easy. Put the sprocket on and degree the cam. If it's off then measure and scribe lines on the shaft and sprocket. Press the sprocket off, heat it up, drop it on the shaft and line up the marks. If you measured correctly then it will be right on the money when you degree it again.

Mrriggs, I think I read you run an XS1 cam in your 447 motor? Is it worth the time and effort to do this switch? Does it change (improve) performance to the point that you really notice? I have the extra parts around to do the switch, just wondering if I should.

I've never really done a back-to-back comparison. When my motor had the 447 cam it was pretty tired and I was running BS38 carbs that I could never get dialed in correctly. I switched to the 256 cam when I rebuilt it, but I re-phased the crank and switched to the PWK carbs at the same time. I've got a stock 447 motor now with 256 cam and Ninja carbs and it's a real sweet combo.

If you already have the parts then go for it. I'd be curious to see how it does in a true back-to-back comparison.

thanks guys I don't think I"ll spend the money on it. lt only has to be done one time when I install it. mr.riggs you still doing 277 cams? if so pm me a price on my xs1 cam. again thanks guys.

Last edited:
The adjustable sprocket from Megacycle is a beautifully made piece. You can buy it separately.

I have put them on for customers but I would never run one myself. Adjustable sprockets are useful on cams that have the sprocket bolted or keyed to the shaft. The XS sprocket is press fit to a round hub so it is already "adjustable".

Dialing in the cam timing on an XS is pretty easy. Put the sprocket on and degree the cam. If it's off then measure and scribe lines on the shaft and sprocket. Press the sprocket off, heat it up, drop it on the shaft and line up the marks. If you measured correctly then it will be right on the money when you degree it again.

Where can this sprocket be bought and how much does it cost? I have seen the online Megacycle catalog but there are no prices and no apparent way to buy direct from Megacycle.

Back