Xs2 coil replacement

clabedan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i have just received the coils for my xs650 (XS2 from 1971) and started proceeding to replacement but I am a bit puzzled as I expected them to match the old ones. The coils come from Heiden Tuning in Holland and are replacements for all xs650 with contact point ignition.

As you can see on the picture, the first connection on the new one (yellow lead) is a male one. The equivalent on the old coil (orange) is female.
Either I need to replace the ends or maybe the connections have been inverted on the coils... (??) I'm not sure which one is the right answer (although I presume the first one is as I can't imagine the internal setup of the coil being different)

I don't want to do anything that could damage the coils so would appreciate your advice on this :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 147
You can run the new coils as they are without problem. If it makes you feel better, you can reverse the wires, it won't hurt it.

The original factory coils were a different left/right part. One coil had brown & orange wiring, the other coil had brown & grey wiring. The choice of orange or grey was only to help differentiate left from right when wiring the bike, otherwise they're the same coil.

Replacement and aftermarket coils usually only come with the brown & orange wiring, you don't see the grey anymore. But it doesn't matter, they're the same coil anyway.

On the original factory coils, the stud had a slightly protruding shoulder, providing thermal contact at both ends of the stud. Many aftermarket replacement coils don't have this raised shoulder, the plastic body sits on the mount plate, and relies on only the nut/lockwasher to make the connection.

Can't tell from your pictures, if your old coil doesn't have this raised shoulder, it is probably an aftermarket coil.

Last edited:
Thanks for this very detailed answer... I inverted them before I read your answer and it worked great...

The bike is still stuttering at mid revs, which I thought would be solved by new coils so back to the drawing board... :)

Posted via Mobile

Back