xs650 advance question

Benxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forums here. I'm having an issue with my 81 xs.
I just converted it to the xscharge pma, and installed the new advancer unit and pamco ignition.
I set the base timing at idle, but it doesnt seem like my advancer is doing anything. Once I have the advance rod tightened on both ends, should I be able to turn a wrench on the advance rod and get the advancer arms to open?
Has anybody else had this problem?
The installation instructions were pretty vague on bushing and pin placement with the advance assembly. As of now, I have 2 brass bushings on the advance side of the rod,1 on ignition side, and 1 pin placed on the advance side to lock the plate in place with the cam.
Kit came with 3 dowel pins, and I couldnt seem to find a place for the other 2 to go.

Thanks in advance....

no pun intended.:bike:

Hi Benxs and welcome,
whyever would you do that conversion, eh?
Whatever.
The mechanical advancer should be locked solid onto the camshaft.
You should be able to move it's weights against their return springs to turn it's shaft which should advance the Pamco device.
If nothin' moves you've done it wrong.

The advance rod shouldn't be so tight it takes a wrench to move it.
You should be able to pull the weights out with little to no effort and the they should snap back with the spring tension.
Welcome to the site Ben.

Hi Benxs and welcome,
whyever would you do that conversion, eh?
Whatever.
The mechanical advancer should be locked solid onto the camshaft.
You should be able to move it's weights against their return springs to turn it's shaft which should advance the Pamco device.
If nothin' moves you've done it wrong.
Ok, Good info.
Well my factory alternator was not charging, turned out to be a bad rotor.. so I opted to go with a PMA conversion. I dont really trust the factory electronics on these old bikes anyways... I've spent more time on the side of the road, than I have riding in the past. haha.
My advancer is locked into place on the cam, via the dowel pin and the lock ring. Also, just as a note, my advancer rod bushings kind of just pushed in there with no resistance.
The weights will move with little to no effort until I tighten the nuts on either end. Then I cant move the advance rod.

Thanks guys, will pull the assembly apart and see if I can spot anything.

Hi Benxs,
yer rod's too short. That or the bushings you put in the camshaft ain't in far enough.
My alter ego Mr. Bodger sez do up the nuts as tight as they'll go and still let the shaft turn then fix them in place with red Loctite.
Me, I'd do some real careful measuring on the installation and fix whatever is binding.

One pin locks the advance unit to the cam. The other two pins lock the end bits on the advance rod .....

AdvanceRod.jpg

You will have the Pamco rotor instead of the points cam on the left end of the rod, but it still utilizes the pin to lock it in place .....

PamcoIggy2.jpg

Hi Ben. I had the same issue on my rephase pick up plate. It worked beautifully until I nipped it up, then it bound. I had to machine a small shoulder in the aluminium pick up plate to allow it to clear the rod / bushing. It now works like a charm.

Thanks for the insight Paulxs. this was the issue. I didn't have access to a lathe this evening, but I did have a roll of emery cloth, and some elbow grease.
I just slightly rounded off the back edge of the pickup plate, and it gave just enough clearance to keep it from tightening against the cam.
The bike runs like a dream now!

Back