Xs650 and triumph triple dual headlight

lowntown

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the dual headlight like on the triumph speed triples. Having trouble finding a dual head light. Anything helps. Thanks in advance.

I am using Dominator dual headlights on my street tracker. They are not exactly the same as the Speed Triple's, try looking at street fighter forum, suppliers.
Things to check out though:
1: Make sure your alternator can handle the extra load.
2: The Dominator lights are a UK product so the low beam could be a problem if you live where they drive on the left. I didn't need to consider it at all (we drive on the same side as the UK here) so it may be a non issue even if you drive on the left.

Last edited:
Hello, thanks for the reply

dominator headlights might be the answer but was looking for something a little less modern. what does the side of the road you drive have to do with it, dont they both headlights work together and do low and high beam at the same time. I have a pma coming so should put out enough juice.

Hello lowntown,
Sorry for the late reply but have been away for a while. The thought that low beam may differ dependant on the side of the road you drive comes from a short, chance conversation I had with a mechanic in a bike shop parts department. I was enquiring about aftermarket dual headlights and he was getting parts. He overheard my conversation with the parts man and said make sure you get one that dips (low beam) the right (correct) way. He explained further that low beam deflects to the roadside, away from oncoming vehicles.

I can't say that I have noticed this, and haven't researched it. But I didn't want you to find out about it when you are at the vehicle testing station with your new dual headlights being failed.
So there you have it could be BS or could be true but before parting with the money it would pay to research it.

So far as the lights operation dominators are not wired so you can hook them up however you want. I am arranging things so that both lights will dip and high beam together, but you can select left, right or both lights to run.

Fellers, I have an old Triumph Lucas headlight on my bike. It makes no impact in the dark so I was thinking of adding another light. I'm not sure how this would work, whether it would be one switch for both or separate switches.

Anlaf

A simpler way would be to replace the one you have for one that works. You may be able to source a halogen insert from a vintage British motor cycle parts supplier that fits your shell.

British Spares in NZ do one in their special products catalogue http://www.britishspares.com/Cart/Main/Home

The previous owner of my road XS fitted a halogen insert and it works well.

I did the dominators awhile back. I found some that came with 35/35W bulbs as I thought the 55W versions would be way too much for the XS charging system. The stock bulb on my 77 was 40/55W. The light output with both 35's on at the same time was poor so it got changed back to a single light.

Attachments

• IMG_0806 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0806 (800x600).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 83
Most reflectors with a biased diffusion to the left or right are older OEM types. This was done at one time to keep the lamp from looking crooked on the front of the bike when it was aimed correctly.
Since the language of most lighting laws reads somewhat vaguely, like so:
A lamp identified by Subsection (a) shall produce:

(1) an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam that is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead during all conditions of loading; and

(2) a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam that:

(A) is aimed and emits light sufficient to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and

(B) is aimed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam on a vehicle that is operated on a straight, level road under any condition of loading projects into the eyes of an approaching vehicle operator.

It's pretty common for lamps nowadays to have an effective diffuser relative to the lamp's usage (hi-lo composites tend to cast a narrower beam) It would be nice to find a dedicated 55W lo and 60W high with reflectors optimized to each beam, but I imagine that would be pricey. Running a pair of lights that were composites would require a significant amount of juice.

Quick side story- The older Yamaha Road Stars have sufficient charging systems, but not a lot of surplus power. The accessory passing lamps come with 35 watt H-3 bulbs in them. Many a dead battery and housing/wiring fire has passed due to folks putting 55 watt bulbs in these. It's just not made for the extra heat. Many have said, "it's just 40 watts" Maybe so, but when you consider (and tell them) it's a 63% increase in wattage on 2 lamps, it seems to get their attention better.
Have you considered LED or HID? A rack of lamps wouldn't be that difficult to make up with some parts store 5 1/4" assemblies, although they would be singles, and you'd have to run one high beam and the other low to be legal most places. You might check aftermarket H-D parts for a pair of dual filament 5 1/4" units, but I'd be certain about capacity before I though about running a pair of lamps. My SV650 will barely support a pair of 60 watt lamps with about 15 watts or so to spare.

Signal, I hadn't thought of putting something inside the lucas shell. Thanks for the link. Yes, it certainly is no more than flicker, pckopp, and just about lights up the front wheel in the dark.

Anlaf

Back