Xs650 bobber weight?

mellowmind

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a question about the weight of an xs650 when its built into a bobber with a hard tail, no fenders, sportster tank, solo seat, mini turn lights, small mufflers and spoke wheels. I know its impossible to answer exactly because each bike is not similar to the other but maybe I could get an +-5kg answer.

The reason for my question is because I live in Sweden and for a motorcycle license you have to be 24 years old to ride heavy bikes with over 35kw.
I am 22 years old and can only get mc license for a bike that have under 35kw and not more than 0,2kw/kg. So when I build my bobber it can not weight more than 175kg or else the bike will have more than 0,2kw/kg.

Best regards Per Dahlberg

The kw in the 35kw is kilo watts, right. How much is that in horse power?
The stock XS650 engine is about 50 HP, even with better air filters and more open exhaust it won't exceed 52 or 53 hp.
Did a search on kw to hp. 53 hp is 38.98 kw, 35kw is 47.59 HP. So your engine has to much power for the license requirements.
I don't know how they calculate the power of engines over there, but you may need to wait a few years to legaly operate your bike.
Those power numbers I gave are engine power, these numbers will be about 15% less if measured at the rear wheel as most dyno's do.
Leo

Yes its kilo watts, 35kw is about 47hp. Yes the xs650 has to much power but I can mount an kit that throttles the power down to the legal power, 35kw. But then I still have the problem with the weight. If the bobber is to light it will have more than 0,2kw/kg and then I can't ride it legally even if it has the legal power for my license.

So if someone know approximately how much their bobber weight it would help me. Do an xs650 bobber weight way under 175kg then I just have to wait 2 years with my project. Would be good to know before I start the bobber project!

Hey Mellow, I think this is do-able.
The original XS1Bs were just over 400 lbs (about 185 kg).
I weighed my chopper (after building it in 1975), came out to 375 lbs (170 kg)
See my gallery for an idea on the setup. A bobber should be less weight.
You may have trouble with the added weight of big battery and starter, may want to strip that and go kicker-only.
Good luck...

Last edited:
Back