xs650 build off 2014!!

I ordered a handle bar and mandrel bent tubing for the custom exhaust. Once the bars are mounted to custom risers, then I can measure for brake line, clutch cable and throttle cable. This is the month to get a lot done. Who's with me?

wow im seriously slacking...looking like wont even get mine done in time, just bought a house and close in april with my girl :banghead::banghead: so if someone wants to grab my shirt and send it to Milwaukee haha. Hoping I can get off but with the house and pto, and the fact that I haven't gotten my frame back from the guy I gave it to THE DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING! WTF...looks like everyone elses toys are coming along nicely.

Mine has been slacking some. Finally got around to welding a little batter box together. Will be running a pma so Ill have limited electrics that need to go in here...

Batt+Box+xs+650+01.jpg

Batt+Box+xs+650+02.jpg

Batt+Box+xs+650+03.jpg

Batt+Box+xs+650+04.jpg

mkesbest - Im gonna cut one of the ends off an inch or two in. Then weld in a threaded tab, and drill a hole from the outside. It will be like a set screw... might have to put one on each side...

Got my wheels polished and ready to true and shoe. Spokes are tight against eachother. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Sporty Ironhead big drum 21 front and XS 16 inch drum rear. Dig it..
1962749_10203215992463602_393926012_n.jpg

Last edited:
March update... Finally making progress. Got my carbs, pma, pamco, gas tank. All I need is a rear wheel and I'm in business

Built my rear wheel. MikesXS AL rim and SS spoke kit. It sucked. But I guess I'm ready for the next one. I learned a ton.

Outer spokes needed pushed over 90* via the wood, vise and hammer method. Not that big of a deal.

Spokes too short especially outers. I found a few longer ones for the outers and methodically laced wheel only turning each spoke a thread or two making sure to save the long outers for last in case I needed them and I did.

This was possibly due to the horrible weld and grind job during mfg of the rim. After lacing and attempting to true with an old motorcrosser to no avail, I broke the wheel down one last time and readyed myself for one last lace and true with my machinist mind on full alert. After lacing with all the spokes loose using the method above I rigged up two and could have used 3 or 4 dial gauges.
1962690_10203260436614678_1352081350_n.jpg

The day and days leading up to this I talked to a bike shop, two motorcycle shops, two friends who laced wheels, BMX and MX, and Hugh from HHB. All of them gave me some great advice and told me that every rim is square and wobbly. So I decided to take it slow and easy. In the end I got it as close as I believe it can get. .010 thou left to right and .010 thou up and down with jumps of .015 and .020 here and there where the weld/grind job is and where a few little dimple dents are. I'm pleased but not convinced until I get some ride time. I was super excited so I mounted up the tire and of course when I went to fill it there was a leak. I'm guessing a burr on a spoke nip or I pinched it putting it on even though I was careful. Side note: the rim from Mikes is very shallow which makes mounting the tire somewhat more difficult.

Not sure I wanna show the pic but eff it. I'm building a Japanese Frisco with KYB Sporty front end and Sporty Big Drum laced on a 21" wheel. Most of the parts you see here I already had sitting so. It is what it is.
10003465_10203268304811378_1867250552_n.jpg

well finally got my frame back, so got the motor in. Motor was a tight squeeze so Ill have to trim some off the bike to get it in after paint easier. Also started working on the PMA. Hoping, praying she makes some noise after this weekend. Shell be sitting for a few weeks as me and my girl close on a house and have to move...sadly ill be working in a real garage soon and not my kitchen. Twas fun... Not sure why the pix always are sideways so sorry. Stillnot sure if I can make it in august but hopefully

Attachments

• tank and new frame.JPG
    tank and new frame.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 128
  • pma.JPG
    pma.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 124
  • no tank frame.JPG
    no tank frame.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Neck gusset.JPG
    Neck gusset.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 148
looks solid westonbeoge, im trying to figure out a way to stash my electrical but looking for the lightest thing I can possibly use, ive seen old cigar boxes and tins used, hoping I can find something like that laying around..

This is exhausting work. Both sides are now cut and just about ready for weld.

Attachments

• exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 163
  • exhaust3.jpg
    exhaust3.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 166
Summit Racing sells 1 5/8" diameter, 16 gage mandrel bends. Here is what I got: HOK-12311HKR (6" U-bend for $19) and (Qty 2) SCH-016216J (2 1/2" J-bend for $13 ea).
They also have bends in stainless. I can provide the cut dimensions if interested, but you can make anything you want. I'm going with 3/8" plates at the head because I think 1/4" is a bit light.

Summit Racing sells 1 5/8" diameter, 16 gage mandrel bends. Here is what I got: HOK-12311HKR (6" U-bend for $19) and (Qty 2) SCH-016216J (2 1/2" J-bend for $13 ea).
They also have bends in stainless. I can provide the cut dimensions if interested, but you can make anything you want. I'm going with 3/8" plates at the head because I think 1/4" is a bit light.

Good one.:laugh: Pipes look nice. Source?

Tj brutal Customs has bends that he sells for quite a bit less then summit. 3/8ths is pretty gnarly for the flanges lol. 1/4 inch seems to be the standard and is what I've always used with no issues. I doubt it'll hurt anything going that thick tho just not necessary imo. Pipes look cool tho man.

Back