XS650 Cooling

Growl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Since I got my cafe scrambler running, I've been riding with an infra red thermometer in my pocket and spot checking the temps... too high... at the head/cylinder junction just rear of the spark plug it got over 300f on a 90+ day . I need a cooler machine!

Been tuning the carbs but got fed up taking them off & on, so I bought a 2 into 1 manifold from Joe the Wiseguy. This puts the carb in easy reach. Jetting should help but thinking oil cooler too. Been reading XSJohn's posts about oil coolers and his experiments with wind deflectors. Some good ideas, he had.

My bike has vent ports cast into the heads and cylinders. These have cooling fins cast inside them. They start just behind the oil feeder tube and flow to the rear of the cylinders and also over the top of the heads, exiting above the spark plugs. There is an opportunity for improved cooling here! These ports are very narrow and the castings are crude. I looked in with a flashlight and discovered a couple pebbles lodged which I removed. Then I blew compressed air to remove a cloud of dirt. Now I have a new task to add to my regular maintenance! This will be helpful but it didn't seem bad enough to explain how hot it's been running.

It looks like some cleanup of the casting was done at the factory. Perhaps a little dremel work could improve flow. XSJOHN spoke of the right cylinder running hotter (on mine the left runs hotter). Maybe the irregularities in these ports might be the explanation?

I do think that a little more air flow directed through these ports would be cool.

Last edited:
Painting the cylinders black would help to cool them as well. Black radiates heat better than the raw casting color. The IR thermometer also works better when checking a black surface. Try putting a piece of black tape on the chrome points covers to see the difference. In this case, the temperature is the same, but the black tape improves the radiation which demonstrates that your IR temperature readings are not accurate.

Hi Growl,
adding an oil cooler will be good so long as the system has a thermostat, too cold can also give problems.
As can oil leakage.
External oil pipes can leak (ask my Britbikes!) and no oil is worse than overheated oil.
And take care how you discuss your revised maintenance plan.
This list will understand "I need to give my bike a blowjob"
Others, not so much.

300* at the spark plug on a 90 * day is warm but not hot. Most XS650's run that warm.
Shoot the right side case to get an idea of oil temps. Dogbunny sells a temp reading dip stick.
I did some experimenting with oil coolers plumbed out of the right side cover and got a bit too much oil cooling. Oil temps in the 150* range. Should run about 180*. With out the cooler around 200 to 210*.
I have purchased a smaller oil cooler radiator, just haven't got it installed. It's area is about 16% smaller than my current cooler. If it drops the temps about 16% less than the one I'm running that put oils temps about 180* about ideal.
I'll try to get it set up next year, had a rough summer this year, maybe next won't be so busy.
Leo

Good input. My cylindars are black but the factory paint is chipping off. I will try the pressure washer treatment through the cooling ports. Maybe my bike isn't extremely out of range but we do get many days of 90 & 100 degrees. I took my infra red thermometer to bike night to spot check other bikes... most bikes run cooler than mine. I hear you Fred about leaky oil hoses. I used to take the oil coolers off bikes when I bought 'em, just to keep things clean and simple. But this bike runs warm and I am going to be grinding along for hours at 20 mph, in 90-100 temps sometimes. I'll heed Leo's experience and not get too big of a cooler. I am considering cutting the head tube for cooler access... XSJohn seems to think it worked. I already have modified my oil strainer for the spin on filter... hoping to avoid reworking that area... but might. Meanwhile I modified my cooling ports slightly - pictures to follow.

I am about to post 4 pictures of the cooling port that goes through the head. My project for today.

1) the port from the rear, is large and ample
2) the port from the side, also ample
3) the port from the front, quite restricted, I have already started grinding here... Is this restriction by design? I will open it up a little.
4) after opening it up maybe 10-15%

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 238
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 289
  • front-before.jpg
    front-before.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 215
  • front-after.jpg
    front-after.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 264
Interesting mod there, Growl. Definitely worth looking into.
Have you seen Twojugs' "Cylinder head cutaway" pics?

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30559

I wonder if mounting one of those 12v mini "video card" muffin fans, pulling air from the rear, would help during low-speed mountaineering.

Also wondering if any cooling may have been lost with the skidplate...

Cut away heads, that's interesting. Thanks for the link. The skid plate is a necessary evil, I'm afraid. The bike is low slung, nice for balance and being able to plant one's feet on the ground, but we scrape rocks regularly and its does protect! I did incorporate holes for ventilation.

Yes, a fan pulling out the rear (like a Buell). Yeah. It would take some engineering, I think - fashioning duct work around the intake manifold, especially the 2 into 1 I'll be using. I wonder if the ducting would interfere with normal flow at street speeds. It's a powerful idea ... somethine to chew on.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back