xs650 engine bore build help

First bike do it right.
Your not going to get 80 HP out of the motor so lets be real. I get guys coming in all the time and tell me I want to run 7 second quarter mile times. So my response is give me 20 grand and I can do it.
Build a cool looking XS650 for your first bike. I would do a bore kit -cam-all new seals and gaskets cam chain and guides. Good set of carbs and good ignition and charging system. If the bike had stock frame and suspension upgrades it will be a blast to ride but you are going to soft tail it and take the bike into another direction. Will look cool but at best 75mph top end before your teeth fall out.
Now if you want to fell better about yourself send me the 6 grand and I will build you a killer motor and tell you want you want to hear 80 HP but at best it may get up to 65 HP. Save your money and I want to see pictures of your build. Want to go fast for short shots put a bottle on it.

Say your bike puts out 60 HP you can always put a small 2o shot on it and get the power you are looking for. Would only be a short time so you don't put too much on the crank.
I have a Hayabusa and it has 225 HP on motor and I have a two set system on it with first shot at 100 and second at 150 so I end up with close to 450 to the rear wheel because you lose some. It great for racing but for everyday use not good.

They put NOS on everything now a days. From big motors to small engines but you have to know the limit of how much and again its what you are using it for. If I was building a xs650 drag bike and wanted the extra power I would use it. NOS is not that much for street use even though people do have it on street bikes. Again its what you are going to use it for.

HI, I'm new to this site and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me who is handling Shell's parts
these days. I'm helping a buddy build a XS 650 for flat track racing. I have a Shell big bore
kit I got some years back and I either didn't get the rings with it or I misplace them in the
years of shuffling parts around. I need a set of std. rings for the kit and maybe some
gaskets. Thanks much, Buck

HI, I'm new to this site and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me who is handling Shell's parts
these days. I'm helping a buddy build a XS 650 for flat track racing. I have a Shell big bore
kit I got some years back and I either didn't get the rings with it or I misplace them in the
years of shuffling parts around. I need a set of std. rings for the kit and maybe some
Hoos racing should have what you need. Welcome to the site.

HI, I'm new to this site... I have a Shell big bore
kit I got some years back... I need a set of std. rings for the kit and maybe some

Hey, 55panman. Welcome to the forum.

I also have some of those early kits, also missing rings, haven't gotten around to sourcing those yet. You need to measure the wristpin holes, 20mm (early pistons) or 22mm (later pistons), the ring groove widths and depths, and, if you can, determine if they're cast or forged. Also look for ID stampings or castmarks, to help to positively identify your pistons, to be sure you get the right rings.

You can use the MikesXS gaskets. Also, copper headgaskets of various thicknesses can be found on eBay.

Please post-up what you find...

Twomany, Thanks for that information. Figured I'd find Roger Johnson's site eventually.
Raced against him more than once. He's fast. Thanks for the info. Regards, Ron

Back