XS650 motor Cut-Away

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen or done a Cut-Away version of the XS650 motor-trans? I was looking at some old pics of my Toyota Celica HS shop class instructional cut-away I had bought and thought I might attempt this on a XS650. Lets hear some thoughts.
. CUT AWAY 001.JPG CUT AWAY 004.JPG CUT AWAY 010.JPG CUT AWAY 020.JPG

Hans, thank you for producing the English edition of your book. I bought a copy last Spring and reviewed it in the Yamaha 650 Society News. The way you organized the material and managed detail impressed me greatly. Guys, Hans' book covers every system in the motor in a series of steps. You're told in simple, nontechnical language exactly how each system works, how to take it apart, how to examine it for defects, and how to put it back together, with photographs that show you what you'll find before you start taking things apart. Even if you never plan to open your motor and just want a better understanding of how it works, you should have this book.

20170930_215400.jpg
XS650 engine . here is a page out of an old manual. framed in a 5×7 ? tho it measures slightly larger.. Im not all that fond of it and would pass it on to a member who would like it ..were talkin beer money

Wow, that is pretty impressive. I cannot imagine the amount of time planning and precisely cutting that away it must have taken. VERY COOL !!!

Thank you Hans.............These are so good. If and when i use any of these pics to make a point or help someone in their threads i will acknowledge the pic as yours and add a link to your book.

These are going to be so helpful for my personal use as well.

Hans, thank you for producing the English edition of your book. I bought a copy last Spring and reviewed it in the Yamaha 650 Society News. The way you organized the material and managed detail impressed me greatly. Guys, Hans' book covers every system in the motor in a series of steps. You're told in simple, nontechnical language exactly how each system works, how to take it apart, how to examine it for defects, and how to put it back together, with photographs that show you what you'll find before you start taking things apart. Even if you never plan to open your motor and just want a better understanding of how it works, you should have this book.
any idea on how I can get a English copy of hans manual.. thanks

Hans, what has your relationship to the XS650 been? In other words why did you choose it for the book?

Excellent engine pictures, Hans.
I just downloaded all (*gasp*) 51 of them.
Vielen dank!

A few things that caught my attention.

The ignition points plate is on the wrong side.
European 533 pistons and conrods.
Is the crankcase vent (behind the camcover) upside down?

Engine cutaway picture #20 shows the middle shift fork cotter pin backwards.
XS650-Cutaway20-crop.jpg

Engine picture #50 shows the middle shift fork cotter pin in the correct orientation. It also shows the neutral detent wear mark on the shiftdrum as being correctly centered.
XS650-Cutaway50-crop.jpg

We've seen many other pictures where the neutral detent isn't centered in the shiftdrum's pocket. A separate issue...

http://www.xs650.com/threads/finding-neutral-while-stopped-and-in-gear.47568/page-2#post-491511

Last edited:
The cutaway engine was used for training mechanicans in Germany - the reason for european pistons and conrods.

The ignition points plate is on the wrong side and the crankcase vent is upside down - I don't know why, there may be more mistakes like the cotter pin, which I didn't realize when taking the photos.

As already mentioned, the cutaway model was on display in a local pub (in Germany). A former owner of the pub was a teacher in the german training center of Yamaha before he owned the pub. I asked the current owner of the pub to take photos of the cutaway model of the XS650 engine an another one (XS750) as well during the time, when the pub was not open. He allowed me to to bring my equipment and to take photos, but of not to change something.

My relationship to the XS650 and why I choose it for the book - that may be a long story.

When I got my driver's license in 1971, the BMW R75/5 was just two years on the market and I dreamt to own one some day. Of course, it was far to expensive. So my first bike was a JAWA from Czechoslowakia, then a MZ and during my military service I bought a BMW R25/3 in 1974. I kept the R25/3 until 1994 and drove it from time to time. When looking for a R75/5 I saw a Yamaha XS650, which was not for sale. I didn'nt know until then, that this type existed, but I liked it better than the R75/5. So I looked for a Yamaha XS650. On december 23rd in 1994 I found one with a mileage 165.000 km. I still own it and use it quite frequently when I have something to do in the city.

The Yamaha XS650 has become quite popular in Germany and some of my friends als own an XS650. I collected a lot of spare parts and so there was enough "material" for photos for a book.

The biggest cut away engine I have seen is at the Pima Air and Space Museum. They have a R-4360 aircraft engine cut open and a electric motor to turn the engine. Quite the sight to see a 28 cylinder engine (4 rows of 7 radial cylinders) of gears and pistons and all, moving in sync.

Hans, just received my copy of your book. I applaud and thank you. Quite a masterpiece. I highly recommend it to all !

Back