XS650 Road Race Restoration

The 12 volts on the burnt wire is why it is burnt. Remove and toss. 12 volts to coil terminal and wire advancer and pamco from there. The advancer and pickup are powered from the coil. The black wire from pamco should ground to motor and not connected to coil.

Do you mean remove the wire sticking out of the coil that the solder melted off? It is the one showing 12 v.

The rest of the wiring is as stated.

I did get a few sparks then nothing.

I must have fried the Pamco when I grounded the coil, or doing something else.

The good news is we have spark. Looking forward to getting her running tomorrow. First time this bike has ran since the 70's.

Thanks for all the help. Special thanks to Pamco Pete.

Missed the opportunity to start her today. Tomorrow is the big day.

The wiring will be cleaned up and tucked away as soon as I know I am done with it.

Thanks again to Pamco Pete.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_20140826_212745001_zps0251d416.jpg
    IMG_20140826_212745001_zps0251d416.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20140826_212807904_zps697d2f38.jpg
    IMG_20140826_212807904_zps697d2f38.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20140826_212820263_HDR_zps6709cc95.jpg
    IMG_20140826_212820263_HDR_zps6709cc95.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
She runs!
I didn't get to run it very long but it barks like it has some bite. 42 years since it was run. Very cool.

Back on the lift to tidy things up and bolt the fairing on.

Any thoughts on how to time it without a flywheel to use for marks?

On 20's engines the timing was set buy a measurement of the piston before top dead center. If you could figure out the distance in relation to the degrees of rotation BTDC you would have it. Measure thru the plug hole with a dial indicator. Stroke from bottom to top dead center is 180 degrees.
38 degrees total full advance including mechanical advance comes out at 15.62 mm BTDC. The mechanical advance or electronic advance adds approx 28 degrees of the total.

Last edited:
On 20's engines the timing was set buy a measurement of the piston before top dead center. If you could figure out the distance in relation to the degrees of rotation BTDC you would have it. Measure thru the plug hole with a dial indicator. Stroke from bottom to top dead center is 180 degrees.
38 degrees total full advance including mechanical advance comes out at 15.62 mm BTDC. The mechanical advance or electronic advance adds approx 28 degrees of the total.

Here's a clip from one of my simulation runs. It's just a .txt file, hope it can be downloaded.
Column 1 is the crank angle (-360° is TDC).
Column 2 is the piston position (travel) from TDC.
Ignore all the other columns...

View attachment Dream-clip.txt

Last edited:
That would put the distance at .385 inch or 9.8mm. Somewhat different than my backyard guestimate.

Yeah, noticed that.
Maybe you were trying ((1 - cos(38°)) x 74mm) which comes close to 15.69
Instead of using the radius of 37mm, which comes close to 7.84mm.

Then there's rod length and angularity, which really fouls things up.

Gotta love rectilinear motion.
Calculating the 2nd, 3rd and 4th order derivitives can put you in a rubber room...

Well I'm already in the rubber room, most are hoping I don't get out!! Keeping it simple is never all that accurate. There is a bunch of info in your worksheet! Great stuff. Did you run the data for the full 360 of rotation?

Well I'm already in the rubber room, most are hoping I don't get out!! Keeping it simple is never all that accurate. There is a bunch of info in your worksheet! Great stuff. Did you run the data for the full 360 of rotation?

There's plenty of room in here, welcome in!

That was from a simulator I wrote long ago. It does a 720° analysis of the dynamic piston forces.
You can find some more info on it in this long thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15102

And in my album: http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1680/

#Lost on Row 1... what ever happened with this rebuild/restore??
All of your pictures are gone(From hosting maybe).
Cheers![/QUOTE
Did you look at the date? I don't think you'll get a response any time soon. OP was right about the heads though, there's power in the ports ,you just gotta
work'em

THX Jack, I did look at the date. Checking to see how he made out and such. I could stay on the site 24h a day to catch up on all posts, but ya gotta work and eat.. oh yeah, Sleep! HA

Back