XS650 running one one cylinder

Scully7050

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Gday guys I have an XS650 chopper it has a crane cam xr700 electronic ignition with dual coil the problem I’m having is it’s only running on one cylinder and if I change the wires to the coil over (not the spark plug leads) then it switches to the opposite side and runs on that cylinder there’s spark to both cylinders but I’m beginning to think that one side isn’t as strong as the other to make it only run one cylinder iv tried for 3 days to fix it but no luck anyone have any idea what’s going on cheers....

Attachments

• 393537AD-7474-46ED-8E75-14CAFC70119B.jpeg
    393537AD-7474-46ED-8E75-14CAFC70119B.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 161
Welcome to the forum scully
When you have a moment why not post an introduction and tell us a little about yourself and your bike .
;)

What coil are you using with the Crane system ?
if you have a link to an install guide or product specification it would be very helpful as would a schematic of the wiring you have used

Hi mate it’s just a stock coil by the looks of it. I brought the bike like it so everything was on it when I got it iv uploaded a picture of the install guide everything seems to be hooked up fine just have no idea why it’s running like it is cheers...

Attachments

• 8CD125A9-52D6-4BD8-8391-87CECBB28A64.jpeg
    8CD125A9-52D6-4BD8-8391-87CECBB28A64.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 142
you haven't said what make of coil you have fitted ? I'm guessing that its either the wrong coil or its not correctly connected.
The diagram you show I believe is a generic one for a car . ?
Was the bike running when you bought it ?
it would be very helpful if you could sketch out the ignition wiring for us.

I think the crane ignition module needs a specific type of coil and the coil that is fitted is possibly the stock xs dual coil . Could you show some images ?

Last edited:
Ballast resistors are used specifically with ballast resistor type coils. These are used on cars where the resistor is used to supply 8-9 volts when the engine is running but is bypassed when the starter is cranking so that the coil gets the full 12volts. (Or whatever the battery can supply)

We’d need to know is the ballast shorted out permanently as in the diagram. What sort of coil is fitted.

As @peanut says did it run when you bought it?

Some close up pics would help.

Dave

If your bike was an Australian model then it came with points ignition and 2 individual cols so it can't be a stock coil/s with the electronic ignition.

Post as much about the bike as possible, or better still pics, (not necessary to post full on close-ups), of the bikes ignition/coils or any thing really..........pics can tell a thousand words and you will probably get as many comments..........

Bike was running rough when I got it I thought the carbs might of needed tuning but done that then realised it was a spark problem that lead me to the coil I will take some pictures of the coil and electronic setup when I get home and post them up and yes 650skull it’s an Aussie bike so it did have points with 2 coils but previous owner has changed the set up

I do know that from the module there’s 3 wires to the electronic ignition where the points used to be then another two wires from the module to the coil then a wire running from the bikes wiring harness (not coming from the module) that connects up to one of the coil wires that must have constant power running through it because if you disconnect that wire the bike has no spark

thats probably not the correct type of coil to work with this particular electronic ignition system.
I would contact crane and ask them which coil is recommended for use with twin cylinder setups. Also ask them for a wiring diagram .
My feeling is it should be a single fire wasted spark type of coil
I'm beginning to suspect that the previous owner put this together out of bits and never had it running on 2x cylinders.

Last edited:
Thanks mate I’m beginning to think the crane cams electronic ignition shouldn’t even be on the bike all the research iv done on it says it for 4 6 and 8 cylinder cars maybe that’s the problem I might convert it back to points and see if that solves the problem

Crane do manufacture ignition systems for motorcycles . The optical trigger wheel you have fitted has just 2x triggers but there are slots for 2x more to trigger a 4x cylinder engine .
It could be that the system has not been wired up correctly and just needs a few simple changes made but without a wiring diagram its difficult to know how. As they are manufactured in Australia, its surely worth a call or email to their tech dept to request a wiring diagram ?

I wouldn't recommend putting the points system back on unless you're a masochist . Why spend hours fiddling around setting up and maintaining 2x sets of points and advance mechanisms ?
if you want a reliable and simple electronic ignition and advance system that is also cheap I would thoroughly recommend the Boyer Bransden Micro Digital system . Bransden have been around for decades designing racing ignition systems and they are ultra reliable and have great telephone backup.

Instant start up, perfect running , zero maintenance whats not to like ? I have one on my bike and it is bloody superb.
http://www.boyerbransden.com

Heres a friends chop with a Boyer

Back