XS650 Scrambler Build

Got the tray welded up inside and out and started to smooth the outside welds and final trimmed the tray to fit. Should be room for everything electrical. Carb and filter clearance??? Maybe.:umm:
box 002.JPG box 003-001.JPG box 005.JPG box 006.JPG

looks great...how are you going to attach it to the frame? I used rubber grommets and time-serts in the frame.

I had to put a notch in the seat rail so that the strap would clear and the seat set level with the rail. The rear fender gets here Tue. so when that`s mounted and splash guard made I can send to the powder coat. Need only to make a coil mount. (I hope).
frame noch 001.JPG View attachment 114146 frame noch 003.JPG frame noch 004.JPG

Nice way to do a recessed saddle. That cleco holding the electrics tray?

Yes holding the tray. I had to notch it too. This task turned out to be a 3 hr "Monkey Spank" that no one will ever notice. Hopefully I`ll get the chrome and powder coat to the shop in the next two weeks. Same place for both here locally.

You sure do tidy work man! Your attention to detail is impressive, the mark of a real pro is doing all those details to a high level even if you know it won't be seen.
By the way, where did you learn to do such nice welds?

Mailman. A Miller Syncro 250 does the welding. I just stand there and pretend to look knowledgeable.

Today I finished the splash guard for under seat. It is PVC coated mirror polished aircraft aluminium. I actually remembered to allow 10 mil for the powder coat this time. The splash guard interlocks with the electronics tray at the top and I`ll either rivet or tap for stainless machine screws to fasten it to the frame rails. Tomorrow is rear fender mount and coil mount then another 20+ hrs of detailing and re sandblasting the frame for powder coat. Summer is here and I need to wrap this one up.:thumbsup:
Sheet Metal 001.JPG Sheet Metal 002.JPG Sheet Metal 003.JPG Sheet Metal 004.JPG Sheet Metal 005.JPG

@halfmile your build looks great dude, very impressive with all the attention to detail i like to see its not just me that's a bit anal with things like that! I look forward to seeing the bike complete...

Rear fender never showed up ( finally did at 4:00) so I solvent cleaned the 750 motor and installed a new clutch push rod bushing, seal, ball bng, 1 piece rod. sprocket, sprocket lock and 1 53/64 shallow cup for starter block off. Motor is 80mm LA sleeve`s, Wiseco 10.5-1 pistons,Megacycle 250-30 cam and Boyer Bransden ign. Not sure what I`m going to use this motor on but I was "Burned out" on frame work for one day. Rear fender is going to require major modification to mount. Tomorrows project.
motor 001.JPG motor 002.JPG motor 003.JPG motor 004.JPG

We have 2 stations here in town that sell 103 at the pump. About 7.50 per gallon but that might be the cheapest part of this build.o_O

Today I tackled the rear fender. Other than the tab on the rear hoop that`s as far as I got since the fender hit the seat where it curved down along the hoop. The only solution I could see was to cut the fender to match the curve in the seat and weld in a flat aluminium piece which I will also use to mount the fender to the seat pan. The front of the fender will mount to the splash guard. Wasn`t nuts about cutting a hole in the new $70 fender but it all seems to fit. Still have to make a tail light mount and a combination grab rail-carrying rack is on the back burner. We`ll see.
rear fender 001.JPG rear fender 002.JPG rear fender 003.JPG rear fender 004.JPG rear fender 005.JPG rear fender 006.JPG rear fender 007.JPG rear fender 008.JPG rear fender 009.JPG

That looks great...I logged onto Revival Cycles to find a fender. Didn't see any.

.....as far as I got since the fender hit the seat where it curved down along the hoop.
One step forward... two steps..... I feel ya.:(
Still, progress is progress. Keep pluggin' away Phil. :)

Thanks, Jim. If I get everything done this weekend I`ll have it to the powder coater at the end of next week. While the frame is getting coated I`ll polish all the parts to be chromed. After that It`s assembly time!:thumbsup:

Nice Phil!!
You going with a polished fender or paint it?

Back