XS650 Stock Chain

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello XS650.com peeps.

I've acquired an XS650 project and have been building it for a while, but the bike didn't come with a chain.

So I need to buy a new one. However, there are SO many options and such a difference in pricing that I could really use some advice.

I would like a new chain for my stock framed bike. The bike won't be "stock" by any means when I'm done with it, but I'll be maintaining the swing arm and the stock rear wheel. So in that sense the distance and type of chain needed will be factory stock.

How many links do I need?
What Tinsel strength should I be looking for?
Can I get something other than gold? (that seems to be what I've been able to find).

Any links to ebay or other websites would be appreciated.

Lastly, what's the "average" life expectancy of a chain? I know the cheaper ones don't last as long, but you can spend $200+ on a chain too (which seems ridiculous). I've trying to find that middle ground of quality and durability within a budget. I have no problem spending money on quality, but let's be reasonable. Ya know?

I'd love to hear what any of you have to say about it and your experience. THANK YOU!

There are many chains out there not gold. I might start on Ebay. You need a 530 chain. 104 links long for the stock 17 front, 34 rear sprockets. I don't think a $20 chain will hold up well. At least the one I tried didn't.
An o-ring or X-ring chain requires a bit less maintenance. Most any motorcycle chain will be strong enough.
Most catalogs might not have sprockets to fit. Like Dennis Kirk, J&P, Drag Specialities. Any of these have chain.
A high quality chain can last up to 50,000 miles if keep clean, lubed and properly tensioned.
Half that is more usual.
I have used standard chain as well as O-ring chain. The o-ring can take a bit less care, but still needs some. The x-ring is even a more carefree chain, but I never have used one so I can't really say much more on it.
The last chain I bought was a Bike Master. I think it was around $45. an o-ring.
Leo

I tried a couple of Volar they installed "Okay" after I got on the horn and had them ship me the correct masterlinks. That chain uses a staked ML so you will need a quality chain "breaker" to do the job right. Never got enough miles on one to have an opinion about wear. But a good friend is riding that bike so maybe by end of summer we will have a report. Google Volar chain the forums present a very mixed bag RE quality....

Mike's XS has stock chains but they're $69 PLUS $14 to ship. I've found some on ebay for $50 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151097646646?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648

I just don't want it in GOLD. Mike's XS has them in nickel finish - which I think would look good with the build and style I'm going for. But I don't want to pay that much.

Anyone have any other suggestions on where to get a good quality chain?

I shop Ebay. You can find them in many brands, many colors.
Just browse till you find one you like.
Leo

Parts Unlimited O-ring and X-ring chains are made by EK and are good stuff. I've had both. With "moderate" maintenance, I have worn out a set of Sunstar sprockets and my current X-ring Parts Unlimited chain at around 23K miles. That's the best from both chain and sprockets I have gotten with my SV650. The chain was $79.00 off E-bay. Money well spent. Another X-ring going on next week. I got 14-16K out of O-ring chains on the same bike with the same maintenance routine. I drive it like I stole it quite a bit, so that influences life.

Chain, sprockets, and brakes. All places I only use brands that RACE.

Hello XS650.com peeps.
I've acquired an XS650 project and have been building it for a while, but the bike didn't come with a chain.
So I need to buy a new one. However, there are SO many options and such a difference in pricing that I could really use some advice.
Lastly, what's the "average" life expectancy of a chain? I know the cheaper ones don't last as long, but you can spend $200+ on a chain too (which seems ridiculous). I've trying to find that middle ground of quality and durability within a budget. I have no problem spending money on quality, but let's be reasonable. Ya know?
I'd love to hear what any of you have to say about it and your experience. THANK YOU!
Hi Quinn,
Whatever chain you get, keeping it clean and lubricated will let it live longer.
Install chain and sprockets as a set.
Old sprockets eat new chain.
Old chain eats new sprockets.
Installed together they live long and prosper.
Budget chain don't last and don't really save much as there ain't no budget sprockets.
Good chain lasts longer.
O-ring chain lasts longer yet.
It's said X-ring chain has o-ring chain beat but I've no experience with it.
Mainly because my o-ring chain has a ScottOiler and don't show any wear as yet.

Back