XS650 Tear Down and Re-build!

Well your bike really looks clean n neat.
I'm diggin on the handle bar n that switch too.
How much of a pain was that?
I used oem caliper with my brembo

nice job on the bike so far man.

side note, do you have a link to this fuse block?

clear-metripack-fuse-cover_zps95705e29.jpg

Wish it was that easy! Got a little girl taking over my life now! Hardly have time to browse the forum these days, let alone do the wiring on my bike!!

Well your bike really looks clean n neat.
I'm diggin on the handle bar n that switch too.
How much of a pain was that?
I used oem caliper with my brembo

Thanks so much man, that is what I'm going for. It was a COMPLETE pain in the tail. The connectors on the switches were so small I had to solder the wires directly to the switch. I am really hoping they hold but if they survived the stuffing I did to get them into the bar, I think they may be good to go.

Did you get your brembo rotor from 650central.com?

nice job on the bike so far man.

side note, do you have a link to this fuse block?

Thanks man!! I sure do. Its Cycleterminal.com Here is a review I did...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=387444#post387444

Nice work! Are your pipes supported near the rear?

Hey Steve. Thanks! They are just bolted at the head and then bolted together. My original intent was to make a clamp off the motor to the pipes but man, those things are solid. I am still throwing the idea around, but don't want to clutter things if not necessary.

Wish it was that easy! Got a little girl taking over my life now! Hardly have time to browse the forum these days, let alone do the wiring on my bike!!

Haha I know exactly what you mean! Sounds like you have your priorities right on target though!

I have one question hopefully someone can help me with....

I made the push button switch for my horn on the bike. My original plan was to permanently connect a ground wire to one side of the horn then to run 12v through the switch and then to the other prong of the horn. Is that going to be a problem because of too much current in the switch? Its only a 1.5a horn. I tried to test the horn with a battery and the darn thing won't even work. Should just be power to one side ground to the other I'd imagine...

I have one question hopefully someone can help me with....

I made the push button switch for my horn on the bike. My original plan was to permanently connect a ground wire to one side of the horn then to run 12v through the switch and then to the other prong of the horn. Is that going to be a problem because of too much current in the switch? Its only a 1.5a horn. I tried to test the horn with a battery and the darn thing won't even work. Should just be power to one side ground to the other I'd imagine...

Hi Van,
FWIW, a horn that only needs 1.5A will only give a pathetic bleat.
A decent 120+dB horn like this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html
needs skinny wires to the horn push that trigger a relay with the minimum of 16ga wires running from the battery to the horn thru a 10A fuse.

Hi Van,
FWIW, a horn that only needs 1.5A will only give a pathetic bleat.
A decent 120+dB horn like this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html
needs skinny wires to the horn push that trigger a relay with the minimum of 16ga wires running from the battery to the horn thru a 10A fuse.

Hey Fred, I don't think I want to run something quite that big but I do think you're right, I may want something more than 1.5 amp. I just want something good enough to pass inspection. If I'm counting on people to watch out for me because of my horn I think I may have more problems than just one. If I have to run a relay I will, but did the stock horn require a relay?

Do you have a link to that switch you used on the handle bars?

BTW this bike is sweet

Thanks man! I can't for the life of me remember the darn site I got the switch off of, but this is the same exact switch it looks like..

http://www.posh-factory.com/product.htm

:doh: Damn I feel dumb. I ment to say I used OEM rotor with brembo caiper.
Which came off ducati monster
full

Haha its all good! I was wondering. Was it a pain to drill the stock rotor? Its so dag on thick. I'd like to run an aftermarket rotor but I can't find a good line on one anywhere. Your setup looks great.

Okay, I have thought about doing that. It sounded like it'd take a long time, then I did that switch hahah the rotor should be relaxing

Hey Fred, I don't think I want to run something quite that big but I do think you're right, I may want something more than 1.5 amp. I just want something good enough to pass inspection. If I'm counting on people to watch out for me because of my horn I think I may have more problems than just one. If I have to run a relay I will, but did the stock horn require a relay?

Hi Van,
the stock XS650 horn is wired direct but it does define the term pathetic bleat.
Any good horn is a power hog and will work better run through a relay so that neat little pushbutton of yours don't have to switch all that power.
And while the average phone-gabbling SUV driving soccer mom can't even see a motorcycle she just might look around if your horn makes her think there's a semi coming at her.

drilling the rotor was not bad I used a drill press and good cobalt bits

Hi Carbon, BTDT. What you said but if the drill bit starts to spin without cutting metal the disk material will work harden to move the job from hard to eff nigh impossible.
So use high drill pressure, low drill speed and lotsa cutting oil.

Hi Carbon, BTDT. What you said but if the drill bit starts to spin without cutting metal the disk material will work harden to move the job from hard to eff nigh impossible.
So use high drill pressure, low drill speed and lotsa cutting oil.

Thanks for this Fred!!! I wasn't sure about speed and pressure. That helps me a lot.

You are right on getting someone's attention with the horn. Thanks for all the advice.

Posted via Mobile

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the wheel and tire specs?

Awesome build so far! Inspiration for sure!

Its all good man, I don't think I have posted them anywhere.

The rear is a 2.5"x16" with an MT90-16 rear tire.

The front is a 1.85"x19" with a 3.5"-19" front tire.

Thanks!

Any updates to this build? Especially in regards to the throttle cable from motion pro.
I'm running a biltwell whiskey throttle on my build as well and motion pro is making me a cable as we speak. Interested in how your turned out. Awesome build by the way.

It has been far too long since I posted in this thread. I need to come back and fill in all the many gaps. The bike is now about 99% done..after about 4.5 years. I had the frame powdercoated and then the tank and rear fender single stage painted. I'm happy with how it turned out! I'm sorry if I missed anyone's questions. If you all have any I'd be happy to help.

Attachments

• IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 183
Back