xs650c Clutch Spring Bolt Dilema

Byarchie

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I upgraded the clutch thrust bearing yesterday and noticed two clutch bolts were binding inside the springs when doing up. Back apart and measured them up i had 4 with a shaft o/d of 10.5mm and 2 that were 11.5mm o/d. The springs have a i/d of 11.5mm. Thinking 2 were wrong i turned them down to 10.5mm to match the other 4. Now on running it up i have terrible judder as if the end cover on the clutch is twisting on take up. Can anyone tell me what i should have please.

What year is your bike? The early clutch had a smooth edge on the pressure plate. The later years had teeth like on the plates that engaged the hub.
Also the pressure plate only fits correctly one way. On the later there is a dot on the hub and a hole in the plate, the hole lines up so you can see the dot in the hole.
I can't recall just how the early ones line up but it has something to do with only one bolt lining up with certain teeth. Not much experience on the early ones, sorry.
On all the ones I have had apart all the spring bolts were the same.
Leo

the bike is a 76. it has a smooth edge pressure plate. Trouble is this is how i bought it and i dont know what is right. Just found the hole in the pressure plate and the dot to line up with i will give it a try. Many Thanks

Last edited:
Those six holes are not evenly spaced around that circle. If the plate is on wrong the hole in the plate can rub on the boss of the hub the bolts thread into.
Leo

Didn't realise they weren't evenly spaced. Thought i had messed it up by making all the bolt shafts the same diameter. But two were binding on the inside of the springs stopping movement when operating the clutch. Hopefully it will b much better now

I think the holes are evenly spaced but they're not aligned symmetrically with the teeth on the pressure plate. Those teeth mate into and slide in and out of the slots on the inner hub. If they're mis-aligned, things will bind up.

Back