XS750 79 - Relay / yellow wire

misiek303

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea how to exactly wire this 5-pin relay?

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 9.31.53 PM.png

Why the yellow wire go there from the stator?

In all circuits that I found for XS750 the additional yellow wire is missing from the stator.
I found one ( attached ) that this wire is there shown. I selected it for you.

Any idea what the YELLOW wire is for?

1209CD00-82D9-440F-A3BA-4A658CE902D5.jpeg

It hooks into one of the stater wires. This triggers the auto headlight on when the engine catches. If the engine doesn't fire the headlight can still come on. Need to turn the key off to disengage the headlight then try to start again, otherwise your trying to start the bike from the battery with the headlight on draining charge from the ignition.

If you have an on/off switch, on the right bar switch, the bike won't have the headlight relay. That's why it isn't on the other diagrams.

Maybe i am wrong about the onoff switch. I See there is one in your diagram as well as the headlight relay...........?????

Could be like the 78 XS650 where they introduced the headlight auto relay and still incorporated the on/off switch which they removed in 79 and later

Last edited:
If you have an on/off switch, on the right bar switch, the bike won't have the headlight relay. That's why it isn't on the other diagrams.

Maybe i am wrong about the onoff switch. I See there is one in your diagram as well as the headlight relay...........?????
I do have the switch on off and also have that relay. I have some silly electrical issue related to headlight and trying to understand every component and wiring. I rebuilt the bike and possibly that i got the wiring wrong.

Anyone knows what is the correct wiring circuit for that relay? It is for XS750F 1979.

Back