1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha Flattrack finally finished!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Anders JB, May 17, 2019.

1. Anders JB

Anders JB XS650 Member

Sweden
    Soooo happy!!
    After a winter in my garage did the new build see the sun for the first time.
    Bought a pile of worn parts,a empty frame that was "abused" and modified...a box with some worn engineparts....but everything can be fixed,so this is the result from that pile of trash!

Have been a fun work,build a bike with the goal of "performance" and functionality as a goal...don't have to worry about looks or streetlegal!

So,here it is...a 650 Special -81 transformed into a "full-blown-racebike" for this summers (hopefully) fun riding on the tracks!!
    Add a picture of my XS:s...all 650 Special -81!
    The Original,my wifes toy and my new racebike.....can you tell I like XS650?? ;)

Anders.

DSC_8320.JPG DSC_8321.JPG DSC_8328.JPG DSC_8329.JPG DSC_8340.JPG DSC_8342.JPG DSC_8343.JPG DSC_8348.JPG DSC_8351.JPG DSC_8352.JPG DSC_8337.JPG

2. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

Wow, what machine. You have made a beautiful job of that, lots of nice features and a pull 9 plate clutch !
    Good luck at the track and thanks for posting.

3. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Enthusiast

Very nicely done, Salute!

4. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Helig ko - vad en cykel! [​IMG]

....that's all I've got Anders - you've done a superb job there!

Pete

5. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Wow very nice Anders great work. Nice XS collection you have there. J-C

6. Bushyeyed1

Bushyeyed1 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Looks good enough to take to the track!

7. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

That's gorgeous Anders!! Anything to report on the modded clutch yet?

8. halfmile

halfmile XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

kansas
    Flat tracker is just FLAT RACY!! Great job.:thumbsup:

9. motormike

motormike XS650 Addict

Mpls
    Blue and white is a break from the done. and done again.. yellow and black.... nice choice of colors …..

10. hotdog

hotdog XS650 Guru

Anders JB, with your 65mm offset trees, what wheel sizes are you using to achieve your 3.5" trail (25 degree SH angle)..? 18 or 19"?

I ask as I'l be making some trees soon.

Also, where has the seat unit come from.? The seat looks to be a lot more comfortable than a lot of tracker style XR HD seats that I've seen before.

Thanks.

TwoManyXS1Bs and peanut like this.
  11. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

Extremely nice! Love your pipes!

TwoManyXS1Bs, peanut and Anders JB like this.
  12. Anders JB

Anders JB XS650 Member

Sweden
    Thank's Jim!!
    Well,did the first testrun just on the road yesterday,and it worked really good! Just love the engine...raw,brutal and when You pull the throttle the front wheel is very light!! :)

A small drag when I pulled the clutch in gear,but I suspect some minor adjustment and maybe different oil,(have 20w-50 mineral for breaking in now) will solve that. But not annoying,just a small drag was felt.
    But the grip!! Absolutely no sign of slippage,and a good "feel" in it....think it will work perfect when sorted out....time will tell! ;)

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Jim and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  13. Anders JB

Anders JB XS650 Member

Sweden
    Hi.
    I use a 19" front wheel,and I have manually measured all the values,not so good at "computer-design",so it could be some millimeters of.
    And use a front fork from a Yamaha R6 -00,it is shorter compared to standard XS fork.

The seatunit,seatbase and "upholstery" are made by me.
    Make all parts in carbonfiber,and believe it or not...the seat foam are Yoga "pillows" cut down to fit.
    Wanted a very firm and quite hard seatfoam,works perfect!
    And use my wifes sewingmachine to make the seatcover.
    All "specialparts" on the bike are homemade,like to build things and have it "my way".
    Anders.

20181027_084229.jpg 20181027_150831.jpg 20181029_194619.jpg 20181103_120725.jpg 20181103_120834.jpg

Jim, TwoManyXS1Bs, peanut and 2 others like this.
  14. Anders JB

Anders JB XS650 Member

Sweden
    Thank's!!
    Yes,they are nice...and quite loud!!
    Got the dimensions from Gary Hoos who said they will work with the engineparts from him,and they do!
    Runs really good,and totally different feel than my other XS650:s....had a BIG smile after the first testrun! ;)
    Anders.

Jim, arcticXS, TwoManyXS1Bs and 3 others like this.
  15. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Junkie

The white/red (or is it silver/red ?) street tracker looks great too! On another note, I am sure Anders could sell quite a few of those carbon fiber seats.

16. hotdog

hotdog XS650 Guru

Anders, thanks for the information. I have an early R6 fork that I intend on using, so will consider your measurements as well as double check in CAD.
    I'm impressed, those seat units are beautiful.

Thanks Dale.

17. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Enthusiast

What clutch actuator did you use?

18. racerdave

racerdave ^ Gone not forgotten ^

Wow, glad I checked in. Very nice!! Great job!

Anders JB and MaxPete like this.
  19. Anders JB

Anders JB XS650 Member

Sweden
    Hi.
    I used the actuator from a Suzuki GT750,3 cyl twostroke.
    Modified quite a bit to fit.
    Have a couple of this bikes and engines laying,and it is a good type of actuator,so thats why I used it.
    Anders.

arcticXS likes this.