Yamaha Special 650 - barn find - Identifying

A few minutes with some kerosene and paper towels, and I'm good to go .....

so I had to do a few rounds and it still isn’t perfect but there was A LOT of build up. This is what it looks like, all put back together with the cable attached.

Cable moves and springs back clutch adjuster nuts moving.
PROBLEM(maybe) when it’s in gear and I hold in the clutch the wheel doesn’t seem to roll freely.

Inside that red/orange bushing, is there a chance something moved and isn’t where it should be?

Attachments

• FAEBD6D1-1140-4D2E-8D84-6F881BDDD86A.jpeg
    FAEBD6D1-1140-4D2E-8D84-6F881BDDD86A.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 88
Who cares what you think about Yamaha's service bulletins.
You can think whatever you like
You can always say that to the owner ---that if things go wrong he can send you the bill.
It is up ,to him to make his own decisions how he wants to proceed.
I do think what I want based on information I get from trusted sources and life experiences.
We all should make decisions for our selfs and accept the consequences of them. I'm no more advocating what he should do than you are. I'm just saying what I think based on my experiences and others here. You are advising on just your experiences.

I'm just saying what I think based on my experiences and others here.

Based on your experiences and others here I’m hoping you can help me with this next part... everything is back together, when I put the bike in first and roll it forward there is resistance. However when I pull in the clutch leaver(which is EXPECTED it to release the resistance, it actually locks up the tires????)

I expected it to lock up the tires in 1st without the leaver, and when I gripped it to roll freely. It’s like it’s the opposite.
Suggestions?

Clean it to your liking, cautious of the clutch push rod seal area.
And, you may was well bend the tab on the sprocket nut and check that nut for tightness. Most do come loose but appear tight because of the lock tab..

everything looked good, when you said “cautious of the clutch push rod seal area” you mean as far as scratching it or spraying a ton of water in there or parts going where they shouldn’t???

curious because the lever works fine, I can see the clutch stud/nut adjuster move when I pull the lever now. However when it is in gear, it’s like it’s all backwards. Pulling the clutch lever locks up the rear tire as I expected it to release the clutch so I can roll the bike in gear

everything looked good, when you said “cautious of the clutch push rod seal area” you mean as far as scratching it or spraying a ton of water in there or parts going where they shouldn’t??

curious because the lever works fine, I can see the clutch stud/nut adjuster move when I pull the lever now. However when it is in gear, it’s like it’s all backwards. Pulling the clutch lever locks up the rear tire as I expected it to release the clutch so I can roll the bike in gear
Sounds like you do not have your clutch adjusted properly and it’s jamming against the inside of the primary cover when you disengage it. Slack the cable all the way. Loosen the adjuster jam nut in the side cover and loosen the adjuster screw until there is no pressure on it. With the jam nut off of the adjuster screw the adjuster in until it lightly seats. Then back it off 1/8th of a turn. This is where it should be locked down with the jam nut. Then adjust the cable at the lever perch to have 1/16” free play.

Dont get hung up on to finer details when it comes to cleaning around the front sprocket. can be done anytme and it wont hold you up on getting it going. The stator and rotor look real clean, that's good, and it does look like it hasn't done to many miles due to the carbon tracks on it, or lack of.

If you get into the carbs and make sure there is no debris in the lines or carbs and its all clean then get a battery and check the electrics. .....Make sure you have neutral.......If they are all good then a start could be attempted.

I wouldn't go shooting water around the front sprocket area, (that's just me), 5twins posted a good way to clean.

NOTE: on the inside of the cover you removed, where the cable attaches to the actuator, there is a hole where the clutch push rod goes into.........there is a small ball bearing in there.........make sure it is and do not loose it, there should be some small tangs holding it in but they get worn and the ball bearing can fall out when the case is removed and moved around.

everything looked good, when you said “cautious of the clutch push rod seal area” you mean as far as scratching it or spraying a ton of water in there or parts going where they shouldn’t???
I think he meant getting water or cleaner past the seal and into the engine.

Based on your experiences and others here I’m hoping you can help me with this next part... everything is back together, when I put the bike in first and roll it forward there is resistance. However when I pull in the clutch leaver(which is EXPECTED it to release the resistance, it actually locks up the tires????)

I expected it to lock up the tires in 1st without the leaver, and when I gripped it to roll freely. It’s like it’s the opposite.
Suggestions?
I think you need to get a service manual or download one and read it. If you are going to get this bike sorted out and running you will have to expand your mechanical horizons. Learn to use the Forums search feature and read about what others have found out about problems like you have. If you get stumped feel free to ask whatever you need.
upload_2021-5-23_19-18-23.png

Lots of very good information on this forum. Also the tech section is very good.
upload_2021-5-23_19-20-18.png

NOTE: on the inside of the cover you removed, where the cable attaches to the actuator, there is a hole where the clutch push rod goes into.........there is a small ball bearing in there.........make sure it is and do not loose it, there should be some small tangs holding it in but they get worn and the ball bearing can fall out when the case is removed and moved around.

I did notice that ball bearing and I did clean and grease it. It was still present when reassembling.
My concern is more on the other side of that push rod, I reviewed the previous picture and it looked to be removed, cleaned, greased and reinstalled so I did exactly that.
Just worried when I pulled that push rod out to clean it I didn’t dislodge something. I do see another bearing or shaft or something back in there were the pushrod stops against

Hahaha welp I’m thinking the brake fluid is no good and likely need to replace the entire line. Looks like jelly in there.

Attachments

• 95A7014A-B5CF-41DC-BACB-2ABCDDCB0911.jpeg
    95A7014A-B5CF-41DC-BACB-2ABCDDCB0911.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 106
If this was me the first thing I would do is pour in a little oil into the cylinders.

Just to clarify, you mean Remove the spark plugs and pour oil in there to help lubricate correct?

when it comes time to try and turn her over, how do I get the oil out?? Lol

Yes, and you don't get it all out. Kick it a bunch of times with the plugs out. The excess will get pushed out the plug holes, the rest will just have to burn off when you start it. It will smoke for a bit, lol. So, don't put a whole bunch in there, maybe just a spoonful in each cylinder.

Back