Yet Another Spark Plug Thread!!

DirtyErnie

Renaissance Hick
Reaction score
I sent this to NGK last week:

"I'm looking for information on available substitute plugs for the BP7ES indicated for my '80 XS650. I'm possibly looking at the "FR_" series as the hex diameter isn't all that critical (I don't have a 13/16" plug wrench anyways...). Changing to a resistor-style plug isn't a concern as I can switch to a non-resistor plug boot easily. Also, there's been much talk in the XS650 forums about the Iridium 'IX' series making noticible increases in torque and mileage on this old-style Hemi chambered engine. If you could include avaliable part numbers suitable as substitutes I would greatly appreciate it."

They gave me this back:

"The plug you want is a BKR7EIX-11 stock # 6988. This is a 5/8" hex and there is no need to change the resistor caps. The iridium plugs actually use less electrical voltage than a non-resistor standard plug.... meaning the coil has to work less to fire the plugs."

From their lit. it looks like it's the same plug with a 5/8" hex. I think I read another thread where someone was going to use the 'FR' series plugs, which I think are only available in a 4 or5 heat range. Leads me to think NGK's heat ranges are fairly consistent across the board if the 'FR' series has the same thread & hex combination as the BKR and they're recommending the BKR7. I'll get to the parts store at some time to double check all these physical differences.

E

Aye, but I was after advice on changing to a 5/8" hex, since I don't have the 13/16" plug socket.

The prefix letters before the heat range numbers are the main focus here, they are what tell us the thread and hex sizes, all the important fitment info.
The suffix letters after heat range designate whether it's an Irridium, Platinum, V-Power, etc. and can be nearly changed at will. (NGK plugs only, of course. Champion, et.al use different letters I don't care to learn right now. ;) )

E

Why not just buy a $6 13/16 socket at home depot or auto zone?

It won't fit in my tool kit. :D

I'm definitely going to check a few of these plugs next time I get to a parts store, to make certain they're really right, with projecting noses and all. I'm not worried about them being resister plugs, I'd rather have the resister in the plug than the cap, but that's just me.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/design_symbols_plugs.pdf

Great sheet for figuring out the NGK codes. The 'BKR' series is inherently a projected-insulator type plug. so on paper it seems to be a suitable substitute:
B = 14mm threak
K = 5/8 Hex, projected tip
R= Resister
7 = heat range
E = 19mm (3/4") thread reach

Further suffix letters indicate electrode type. 'IX' for iridium, 'Y' for V-groove, etc. 'FR' and 'GR' series plugs also have the correct shells, but may not have the right heat ranges. 'BCPR' series looks to have the same shell and everything, so I guess I need to get a BCPR and a BKR side-by-side on the parts counter and figure it out. Might bring a meter and measure the resistance, too. ;)

E

Too late, picked up a pair of BKR7EIX yesterday ($8.99 @ NAPA or somesuch). need to get a couple sets of standard-ish plugs for tuning in case i foul it a couple times...

Wally World has the Autolite double platinum 63 plugs for $4.39 a two pack. Run good.

Oops, I fibbed. I went to Wally World to pick up new plugs. The AP63 are single platinum plugs and were $4.86 a pair. They didn't have a double platinum plug in a 63. Darn, I can't recall the price on the double platinum plugs they did have. Some where around $8 A pair.

Running them? I'm putting the head on tomorrow. The rest of the bike is scattered all over the garage. Build thread comes after it runs. ;)

I do a lot of research though, just sharing.
E

Back