For Sale - 1978 XS650 For Sale

rcknrllrog

ST CUSTOMS
Reaction score
This bike is a 1978 Yamaha XS 650 that has received some subtle but important modern improvements. The frame is from a Special but we did away with the rear disc set-up.
The bike was tore down and all the accumulated rust and crud from the years of neglect were removed via a generous amount of bead blasting then it was powder coated to provide a durable long lasting finish.
The motor received a top end re-build and all new gaskets and seals have been installed.
The motor breathes through a pair of Mikuni VM34 round slide carbs and a set of free flowing air filters.
The exhaust system is a custom built 2 X 2 set-up with tapered mufflers.
It has a really nice tone and is not overly obnoxious to those pesky neighbors.
We used a stock '74 tank and got a brand new seat from Mike's XS.
The paint work was done in-house using Matrix Systems custom colors. It's a variation on emreld green with a bit more flash added. It's hard to see in thee photos but the paint work really pops in the sunshine.
The Takasago "Akront" wheels recieved a complete make over as well with new bearings and seals and are wrapped in Coker Diamond tread rubber.
The brakes have been upgraded with new Nissan master cylinder up front and a stainless steel brake line. The stock caliper got new pads. The rear drum brakes got new brake shoes.
The chassis has been improved with the addition of tapered steering bearings and bronze swing arm bushings.
The front suspension is from a Virago XV920R using larger 38mm forks that have been re-built with new seals and progressive springs.
The rear suspension is handled by a pair of KYB shocks.
It has new L.E.D. head lights and a new L.E.D. tail light.
We installed new handle bars and control modules along with new grips.

Great bike for around town or as a commuter.
Classic style with modern upgrades.

The bike is for sale for $3,500.00
It has a clear title but needs new regisration
If interested please call to schedule a time to check it out.
(360) 386-9378

Attachments

• RUSTY 01.jpg
    RUSTY 01.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 430
  • RUSTY 02.jpg
    RUSTY 02.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 390
  • RUSTY 03.jpg
    RUSTY 03.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 370
  • RUSTY 04.jpg
    RUSTY 04.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 383
  • RUSTY 05.jpg
    RUSTY 05.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 380
  • RUSTY 06.jpg
    RUSTY 06.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
That is a Special Frame, rear foot peg mount, 78-84................... Judging by the rear Guard, Side panels and Gauge Cluster it was a 78SE or a 79SF. Looking a bit closer it is definatly a 78SE or 79SF, due to the MC, (for a rear wheel Disk Brake), mounting brackets left on the Frame. Has been converted from Mag Wheels to Spoke wheels.........Not a 74TXA....................The only thing that is from a 74 is the tank.

This is not to say the bike is not worth the asking price or that the bike is not a good buy..............An observation based on my Knowledge.

I want to let everyone know that mistakes were made in the creation of the thread for the bikes I have for sale but I can’t seem to find any way to edit these posts so that I can correct the wording.

Last edited:
More questions/observations.........The motor, as claimed is a 74TXA, (TX is a 73 256 motor TXA is 74 447 motor), why was the cam chain tension er changed. Maybe a mistake in the write up, but a drum brake rear and disk brake front only requires 1 Master cylinder for the front brake not 2.