Wanted - 21" front rim to suit xs650

That's the 64 spoke Heritage rim. Don't think they have a 36 hole 21" rim.

I'm using the front wheel from an XT500, but that rim is drilled for an asymmetrical drum brake hub so it likely wouldn't lace well to the XS disc hub (but anything can be made to work with a little drill bit action).

Any 36 hole 21" rim laced to a small diameter hub should be fine, unless it's some oddball lacing pattern.

There's no figuring that out. The Heritage Special has a 64 spoke front wheel and 48 rear. Stock is 36 on both ends.

So that rim will NOT lace to a typical XS650 hub. If you want the 64 spoke look, then buy the rim, the matching spokes and find a hub.

I was looking for one for a long time. Finally just picked up a HD 3/4 axle wheel and had some step down spacers made to fit my axle to it. Only paid $100 with an Avon tire on it.

Of course I then spooled it so that cost another $200.

I'm guessing by 'spooled' he means it was turned down on a lathe to reduce the overall size of the interior section of the hub - make it look more like a 'spool'.

I did something similar to the Honda CB front hubs I used on my silly SR500. I used Honda CB front hubs on both ends of the bike laced to vintage dirt track 19" hoops and made up adapters to carry the sprocket and rotor. The sprocket carrier has a 3rd bearing in it so I have 3 bearings on the rear wheel. GSXR front end, custom axle... it's all pretty stupid :D

My friend with the lathe turned my hubs down for me. Not exactly 'spool' hubs but I wanted a clean look.

SDC10291.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

I had step down spacers made so my 17mm axle will fit in the larger 3/4 bearings. That way I didn't have to drill out the forks. They are 17mm inside and 3/4 outside where they go into the bearing, then step up bigger so the work as a spacer.

By spool, I mean I bought a Wargasser narrow spool and laced it up to the 21" rim.

251152_10151222397655406_398100951_n.jpg

That's like the first front hub I had - a dirt track spool hub that had been modified to carry a rotor. Don't think it liked the stress. When I took it apart, it was a little worse for wear ;)

IMG_2387-1.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

Legend !! Startin to make more n more sence to me :) I found out a rm250 Suzuki has 17mm axle and 21" rim..... If I was to buy one of these wheels and coinciding brake setup second hand do you think this would be a easier alternative ?? Also how do I go about mounting my headlight higher up from the stock mounting point on the bottom of the triple tree ?? Sorry about if year questions are dum but I've never done this shit before and am kinda just wingin it on my own haha

I had step down spacers made so my 17mm axle will fit in the larger 3/4 bearings. That way I didn't have to drill out the forks. They are 17mm inside and 3/4 outside where they go into the bearing, then step up bigger so the work as a spacer.

duh, sometimes I think I'm a retard. I totally misread and completely understand now.
Sorry, but I gotta do it. You wouldn't happen to have the specs for those spacers so I don't have to do the work, do ya? :D

Unless you have the exact same hub and forks, your specs will be different in terms of the spacing of the hub to center it in the forks.

Aside from the length, the spacer would be 17mm ID, 3/4" OD to fit inside the stock hub bearing and accommodate the XS axle, with the section inside the bearing only as deep as the bearing is wide. Then there would be a spacer between the bearings on the interior of the hub to maintain a solid structure between the forks.

Heard, I was to undertand he's using xs forks (not being sure of the model year. 34mm vs 35mm). And originally had a sportster or a narrowglide wheel (before the spooly). Which if they were 35mm and a sportster wheel with a 3/4 axle would be identical to my setup.

Mikes has them back in stock, just ordered one yesterday

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-1908.html

random question. I have a 76 xs650, and down the road want to run a 21"...no front break though. so I could easily swap the stock front rim out for this guy? (obviously need hub, spokes etc) Its referencing "special". Stock forks, stock everything up front for the most part, minus removing the brake. Never came with a caliper... THanks

Back