72 XS Frisco Chop

SangreDeDios

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I guess i should start a build thread for this thing.
Picked it up earlier this year.
It looked like this.
IMG00058.jpg

stripped it down and took it to my boy Hans who had a universal kit laying around.
He hardtailed, we reused the short 72 rear axle to make the tail more narrow.
Reused original mids set up.
I had a narrowed sporty tank done by a japanese dude whose name i cannot pronounce, either way good dude and an awesome fabricator.
Seat springs were courtesy of erklep, thanks dude for getting them to me super fast.
Going to remount the seat further back with a different seat pan that will hold my big ass better.
We reused passenger peg mounts for seat spring bungs. worked out great.

Got an old wassell ribbed fender in the mail so that'll be mounted shortly.
Not sure im gonna keep the window bars, really i'm not feeling them, they might be for sale shortly.

The plan for the tins is Roth's Green flake.
Got a bunch of parts sitting here waiting to be put on, pamco, tapered steering bearings, Gordon Scotts exhaust and aluminum riser bushings.
Not sure what im going to do for the front wheel, i think a 21 would be in order to complete the look but i also have a 71 front drum wheel if if only i could find the damn drum brake part of it, anyone got one for sale??

More to come.....

2011-05-21181329.jpg

2011-05-21181400.jpg

2011-05-21181408.jpg

2011-05-21181429.jpg

2011-05-21181444.jpg

+1

Also, get rid of the original tank mounts. Maybe replace the gussets with something a bit prettier.

Definitely off to a good start.

yeah the bars will be replaced with something else for sure, definitely redoing the gussets also.

Nice project.
Are you going to run the rear brake the way it's sitting now?

i was thinking about it, it seems to work just fine when rolling around but of course i havent tried it out on the road yet.
Any idea why i shouldnt?

My opinion, and its only an opinion. Different bars will definitely look better, factory tank mounts removed will look better. I would relocate the coils... the reason I say that is with a Frisco mount tank the coils are just "there" kind of hard to explain but again, its just an opinion.

As for the rear brake. The problem I have is with it mounted that way (rear brake stay) there is too many angles back there... hardtail kick up, rear frame verticals, and now a brake stay.

You are off to a good start... Im not bashing your work, I like where you are going with this

On the brake stay. I would suggest you move the hub so that the stay is in tension. It was designed to be used in tension, your set up applies compression. It takes much more material to resist compression compared to tension. My concern is that with your set up the rod could bend under braking forces. IF the rod bends the hub spins and that will apply the brakes. (all the way).

My opinion, and its only an opinion. Different bars will definitely look better, factory tank mounts removed will look better. I would relocate the coils... the reason I say that is with a Frisco mount tank the coils are just "there" kind of hard to explain but again, its just an opinion.

As for the rear brake. The problem I have is with it mounted that way (rear brake stay) there is too many angles back there... hardtail kick up, rear frame verticals, and now a brake stay.

You are off to a good start... Im not bashing your work, I like where you are going with this

On the brake stay. I would suggest you move the hub so that the stay is in tension. It was designed to be used in tension, your set up applies compression. It takes much more material to resist compression compared to tension. My concern is that with your set up the rod could bend under braking forces. IF the rod bends the hub spins and that will apply the brakes. (all the way).

i see what both of you guys are saying both about angles and the proper function of the brake, i'll play around with it, we'll see.

The coils are also gonna get remounted, i'd like to completely remove the upper mount and the bar but 72 frames are weaker than later years so it might just stay, dont know yet.

I wouldn't remove the stock gusseting or the tube the coil mounts on. Cleaning off the old tank mounts and any other mounting tabs that are not used.
On the brakes, rotating the plate so the strut mount is pointing about straight down, then moving the strut mount down to the lower frame rail will make the strut look more like an extension of the frame will clean up the look.
Also match the wheels, either add the mag to the rear or add a spoke up front.
Moving the coils back behind the engine, about at rear engine mount height will get them more out of site, but they may suffer from to much engine heat. Upgrading to a better coil will help on that.
Other than that not bad so far.
Leo

just a little bit of an update.
Put on the new exhaust, frisco bars, got an old wassell fender in the mail and mocked that up, gotta get some brackets done for it along with relocating the coil. I'm going to clean up the neck area and eventually get some new gussets welded in.
And im looking for a spoke front wheel in good shape if anyone got one for sale.

2011-06-02205359.jpg

2011-06-02205417.jpg

2011-06-02205510.jpg

2011-06-02205552.jpg

Back