'79 Special Headlight Bracket Assembly

BSAKat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, friends. So, I'm putting this '79 Special I have back together and I realize I have no idea how all the bits of the headlight ear/bracket assembly go on. When looking at the diagrams in the Haynes manual and online (Partzilla), they show only about half of the parts I actually have. So, I've come to you for help (after getting nothing but static on the facebook page). Without further ado, here's what I have:

7JbikVz.jpg

That's all the gaskets and guides I have. I've left out the bottom bracket/cover/shield thing with the Yamaha badge and the headlight ears themselves. The numbers are the numbers listed in the parts diagrams. I'm currently missing one 15 (Washer, Oil Seal 1T3-23146-50-00), one 16 (Gasket 1T3-23163-51-00), and one 21 (Guide, Cover Lower 1T3-23116-51-00), but they're on the way. Here's a closer look:

32Rcee3.jpg

The parts diagram shows one of these going on the fork, smaller diameter lip up, below 17 (Cover, Outer) and sitting on top of 15 (Washer) which itself sits on top of the lower triple clamp. Then 21 (Guide, Cover Lower) sits in a recess on top of 17, and another 16 (gasket) fits inside of 21 with the smaller diameter lip facing down. None of that makes sense considering all the other parts I have.

tEDtJSU.jpg

These are supposed to (I believe) sit on top of 17 and hold the bottom of the headlight ear tube. Gasket 16 sort of fits into this, but it's a tight fit and the inside diameter of the gasket is smaller than the inside diameter of the guide.

Now for the other parts:

lUsf4V7.jpg

These are the same thickness as 16, but their inside diameter is larger. They fit perfectly inside 21. No idea where these go or if I need more than the two I have.

0508EaN.jpg

These are extremely thin - thinner than either 16 or the unknown gasket (about half as thick). No idea what these do.

3jszyS5.jpg

DlYHY4T.jpg

So, these things are my biggest mystery. The hole in the middle is the same diameter as the forks. Neither the unknown gaskets nor 16 fit inside (they're smaller). On the "top" there's a recess that fits the end of the headlight ear tube. I think these may go on top, with the tapered end facing down, right beneath the upper triple clamp.

Okay, yeah. I'm overthinking this and the answer is probably staring me right in the face and I can't see it. Yes, this isn't that important and won't stop me from riding. I know they'll rattle like hell when I put them back on if I don't do it right, though. Also, yes, I should have taken pictures/notes when I disassembled it. My shop habits are atrocious and I can assure you that this absolutely will not teach me a lesson.

So, can someone enlighten me as to how this is all supposed to go back together?

Does this help? 79 just an earlier bottom chrome trim piece than original.

Attachments

• 20210327_144332.jpg
    20210327_144332.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210327_143954.jpg
    20210327_143954.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 158
At the bottom, you want one #15 washer and #16 rubber. These will sit right on the lower tree and the rubber fits up into the cross plate with the Yamaha name on it. The ear tube sits right on top of the cross plate. At the top of the ear tube, you get another #16 rubber and a #21, fitted together like shown in Machine's pic. All those other rubber pieces and rings you have are extra and not needed.

Ugh, yep. You guys are correct. Thanks, Machine; Thanks, 5twins. Looks like I mixed up some parts from an XS750 in with the 650 parts. Thanks, gents.

Back