Wanted - 79 STOCK STANDARD (not special) seat or cover ANY condition

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Need to get a good seat cover, I can work with a pattern to get one made. This is a 79 standard only seat no other year will work. Thanks for looking anyways.:wink2:

I have a new in the box Saddlemen seat cover I bought for a project recently then ended up finding a good stock seat so I didn't use the new cover. Per the website it is for '75 to '79 XS. Standard of course.

http://www.saddlemen.com/en/products/seat-covers/cruiser-seat-covers

I'll take $50 shipped if you want it. PM me if you are interested. I have a couple pics I could send you if needed..

JB

Lots of vendors have it wrong the 79 changed a bit.

dsc08721.jpg

It's stepped and looses the strap and the fake thread pattern is different, AFAIK the pan is the same but the foam and cover are different.

Lots of vendors have it wrong the 79 changed a bit.

dsc08721.jpg

It's stepped and looses the strap and the fake thread pattern is different, AFAIK the pan is the same but the foam and cover are different.

OK, I never noticed that before. I just figured a bunch of people swapped seats off of specials. There were way more specials sold up here, standards are getting harder to find.

79 standard is one of the rarest XS650's, few were made and it's last year for the standard because EVERYONE just loved the special, WTF? Well, plaid bell bottoms and avocado green were hot once too...

Here's what I'm working on

79sideview.JPG

Did you know Yamaha trotted out the step seat cruiser before Harley?
Gary one day this model will surpass the value of the XS1.
Is that the repainted tank?

That might be the right foam under the Travelcade cover....

And I do like the 83 Heritage Special, wish I kept that 83! Hope the new owner treat's it right, and hides the hack saw.

79 standard is one of the rarest XS650's, few were made and it's last year for the standard because EVERYONE just loved the special, WTF? Well, plaid bell bottoms and avocado green were hot once too...

79sideview.JPG
You mean avocado bell bottoms and plaid refrigerators ain't cool anymore ? Damn, I gotta get new stuff !

79sideview.JPG

Last year for the standard in North America, but not for the rest of the world. I believe they had standards in Europe until 1982 or 1983. Here's a pic of a 1980 standard in Germany.

Attachments

• 1980 Standard in Germany.jpg
    1980 Standard in Germany.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 117
Last year for the standard in North America, but not for the rest of the world. I believe they had standards in Europe until 1982 or 1983. Here's a pic of a 1980 standard in Germany.

Hey that may make my search for a seat cover easier!

I did not know that they kept on going else where but it sure makes sense that they did.

That "80" has BS38s. Did the rest of the world not get the BS34s in 80?

That "80" has BS38s. Did the rest of the world not get the BS34s in 80?
We only had 38's fitted here in the UK

You sure that stepped seats standard Gary? Ive never seen a stepped one on any UK roadster model only on the SE. I have a couple of original roadster covers here from around that time

79F Brochures. The pic and first three are from the States with the stepped seat and the gauges are the Special type in the 77/78/79 Standard instrument cluster.

5 & 6 are from Germany, (correct me if I'm wrong), has the SE/SF taillight and gauges.

7 & 8 are from Holland with the Special gauges again.

The last pic is of a 1980 TX650 Japan only

Some more usless info from the Skull

Attachments

• 79F.jpg
    79F.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 183
  • fol2F0_6.jpg
    fol2F0_6.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 213
  • fol2F0_7.jpg
    fol2F0_7.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 174