About to buy my first XS - '79 or '80 Special??

Scott87

Meh.
Reaction score
Guys I've finally had a break from building and repairing my racebikes, so I've got some crust for an XS.

I have a line on 2 local bikes: A 79 Special, and an 80 Special. The 79 is $300 cheaper, but about 150 miles farther away. The 79 has a non-functioning tach, but otherwise everything is reported to be in good working order. I could care less about the tach since I'm going to run a Trailtech digital piece.

The 80 supposedly has carburetion issues, mostly due to sitting for some time. I could care less, cleaning carbs is no biggie.

Here's where I'm stuck - my research shows me that the bikes are pretty much only differentiated by the 80 having electronic ignition, and the 79 having the better 38mm carbs. I'm aware the side covers are different too, but I don't care because I won't be running them. I think there are also some minor brake/fork differences, but those don't matter to me either since I'm going to do a front end swap. The 79 having points ignition doesn't seem to be a big deal as those Pamco electric pieces look nice and are priced right.

The build I'm planning is sort of a hybrid street tracker / sportbike build. I haven't decided on several parts of the build, but it will have a USD front end and a different, braced swingarm. Everything else is wide open.

Is there any reason I should be considering the 1980 bike? Am I missing anything?

The 79 has points and the advance system is already on it so that will save you a couple of $ when changing over to the pamco, the 78/79 carb slides are no longer available, (Mikes XS words), the diaphragms are available (i can't find where i hid the bookmark) from a guy making rubber parts, Diaphragms (using the existing slides), and manifolds for the XS that are Ethanol safe................some one may help out with that info..........The seat on the 79 hinges and lifts from the side and with some small modification the earlier seats can fit....the 80 seat clips in and it will be a bit more problematic to change...... Mikes has a nice cafe clip on seat for the 80....small points

Sounds good, I'll concentrate on the 79 then. The carb slide thing is slightly concerning, but not a huge deal. I was 50/50 on changing to a real carb and avoid dealing with vacuum carb tuning nonsense. I've been through it before on a couple race bikes and now I just swap 'em for VM's or CR's.

The seat isn't an issue either, I'll be fitting a fiberglass piece.

Man am I jonesing to go get this bike. Can't wait to get started! I haven't done a street legal build in a long long time and the last time I did my skill level was limited to fender eliminator kits and other squidly nonsense. :eek:

the guy that makes the diaphragms slip onto the existing slides and are very cost effective, (dam i wish i could find that link), The original slides and diaphragms are sold as 1 piece and are very $

Back