Ignition trouble?

JBMatthews82

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
81 XS650. I’ve had nothing but issue after issue as far as electrical system goes since completing this build. What’s on the bike as of right now. Mikes XS red ignition. Hughs charging system. 4 cell anti gravity battery. Ignition coil is from Mikes XS. Part SI-165-2. 2.4 ohm. Mounted in factory location. I do have a high tunnel tank so there’s very little room above the engine but it all fits. All of this is less than a year old. I tried running a capacitor for a while and decided to just eliminate that by installing the 4 cell antigravity battery in its place. The current issue is when the bike gets hot in traffic, town or parking lot cruising low speeds it starts busting out and skipping. More so at lower rpm’s. If I can get it back out on the open road it’ll go back to normal after a few miles. Everything on the bike has been changed recently except for the coil. It’s still only about 16 months old. But could it be causing this issue I’m experiencing? Seems like something is getting hot at low speeds or idling in traffic. Is the location being buried under the tank causing it to malfunction?

Back