XS ignition woes

Curious if you still have the original '81 rotor, stator and TCI box? If so, you're most of the way back to the original TCI and charging system.... which is still the most reliable systems available for the XS.

I remeber once I had an issue that the engine would stop and start while riding and it was a wire on the electronic ignition was on one starnd the vibration cused it to fray. It weired that it happends when it hot but fine when its cooled down. Im sure you have checked everthing but i would chech again check that advnce the springs weaken or the weights snag up.

Get an electronic advance from pamcoe i have the older seperate module but i think pamcoe make a combined ignition and advance it could be the mechanical advance and when you say Get Hot do you mean normal Hot or too hot
As far as I know pamco hasn’t made ignitions in years. And as far as how hot I’d say crushing through a parking lot or turning the bike off long enough to fuel up or grab a soda, either one will cause the bike to start giving me
Curious if you still have the original '81 rotor, stator and TCI box? If so, you're most of the way back to the original TCI and charging system.... which is still the most reliable systems available for the XS.
I don’t. It had a pamco when I purchased the unassembled bike

What is the possibility of a float valve not quite sealing, good enough for riding, not good enough for idling?
Idles and runs perfect cold or hot but I can’t stop for very long or cruise at 2mph through a parking lot. Or stop for gas. All that heat is stored in the engine when it’s stopped and it’s overheating something. It’ll crank and run but bust out terrible and won’t hardly idle. I have to keep the revs up. But after I go down the road a few miles and 60 it’ll clear right up and run great again. I can stop at a stop light and it’ll run great still. Just can’t stop moving for very long

Idles and runs perfect cold or hot but I can’t stop for very long or cruise at 2mph through a parking lot. Or stop for gas. All that heat is stored in the engine when it’s stopped and it’s overheating something. It’ll crank and run but bust out terrible and won’t hardly idle. I have to keep the revs up. But after I go down the road a few miles and 60 it’ll clear right up and run great again. I can stop at a stop light and it’ll run great still. Just can’t stop moving for very long
The stock charging system puts out NO charge at idle. That means your battery is supplying ALL of the juice. I do not know about your modified charging system nor the capabilities of your battery. You too will not know until you mount a $7 voltmeter somewhere you can see it as you ride.
I am not saying that you have a voltage problem but until you can monitor that voltage, you cannot say you don't have a voltage problem. It helps everyone considering your particular difficulty if they all know that low voltage is not a contributor.

The stock charging system puts out NO charge at idle. That means your battery is supplying ALL of the juice. I do not know about your modified charging system nor the capabilities of your battery. You too will not know until you mount a $7 voltmeter somewhere you can see it as you ride.
I am not saying that you have a voltage problem but until you can monitor that voltage, you cannot say you don't have a voltage problem. It helps everyone considering your particular difficulty if they all know that low voltage is not a contributor.
I just ordered the digital voltmeter from eBay that was recommended earlier. Guess I’ll have to install and find a warm day to test it

I still have a hunch that maybe your ignition advance rod is sticking. The ‘81 camshaft was not finished to have an advance rod. It works cold, but not hot. Works fast, but not slow. I’d put my money there or the XSCharge unit faulty. I don’t think it’s a voltage issue.

I still have a hunch that maybe your ignition advance rod is sticking. The ‘81 camshaft was not finished to have an advance rod. It works cold, but not hot. Works fast, but not slow. I’d put my money there or the XSCharge unit faulty. I don’t think it’s a voltage issue.
Thank you @jetmechmarty . I have a stock '81 motor in the Red Bike and a Probe Engineering aftermarket electronic ignition in my 77 BBC Blue tracker so I was unaware of that detail. The things we learn here!

I had the same Mikes' XS red electronic ign. on my 76xs6/750 big bore. Had separate ground wires back to the neg. batt. terminal,
Fabbed up a small ally scoop to funnel more cool air to the coils. Was getting 14.4 V in the charging circuit and still the same problem.
Tried 3 different coil set ups.No longer trusted the bike. In desperation I took a ride without the points cover on the bike. It ran longer.But eventually did the same cutting out when mired in hot stop and go traffic. Re-installed the stock points ign system and haven't had a problem with the old beast in 2 years. I don't think the quality of the Mikes red system is up to snuff for some reason. 🤔 Just my limited knowledge opinion. I just got a Newtronic Ign kit to install over the winter. Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment .

Have you checked the breather hole on the fuel tank cap if it blocks you get a vacume in the tank and fuel does not flow

Back