air/exhaust leak

prue1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Two questions:
1. It appears I have an air leak in the throttle shaft seals on my 1972 XS650 (BS38 carbs). When spraying starting fluid on the shafts, my rpm's increase. I can maintain a decent idle, but the popping and hick ups seem to be getting worse over time. I've kind of lived with it for awhile, but I am concerned about running too lean. I believe in order to replace these seals/shafts it is a very precise job and honestly one that maybe above my pay grade. I have read where there in a firm called motorcyclecarbs.com that may do this, but it seems to be out of business? Does anyone know of someone who provides this service?

2. The first 1/3 of my spark plug threads on my left cylinder are pretty wobbly but are still there. The remaining threads feel fine. I am able to torque the spark plug to spec but there is what appears as exhaust soot on all the threads and some of that same soot that will collect on the immediate cooling fins to the rear of the plug. I take this as a leak due to the worn threads, anybody disagree with this? I have used a light application of ant-seizing compound to see if this has any affect. Would this apparent leak affect my cylinder compression?

As always thanks for any feed back provided.

Back