All balls tapered bearing swap into a '79 xs650

GaryS-NJ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just read the tech article how -to and it made no mention of a spacer.. I'd swear I read somewhere to keep the old lower ball bearing race as a spacer. But using the search tool I think I figured it out please confirm?

the '74 & up xs frame neck is longer then the pre-'74 neck so if you want to use a late front end/lower tree in an Pre frame with the tapered bearing you leave the old bottom ball bearing holder beneath the tapered bearing as a spacer for the longer stem in the shorter neck.. Sound correct??

and which side is up for the all balls bottom grease shield??

I've not heard of using the old bottom race as a spacer but I suppose it's possible that might work. But, if you have a '79 frame and forks, it wouldn't apply to your install anyway. You'd want to remove all the old races. Do leave the original lower grease seal on there, and use the new All Balls one along with it. The All Balls grease seals have a rubber lip sticking up off one side, none on the other, and that rubber lip allows the seal to "snap" onto the bearing. You'll see how it goes once you look at one .....

spE6X6h.jpg

Also, there's no need to use or install the top grease seal, it really doesn't do anything. Gravity will have that bearing's grease migrating down so a seal on top of it is not needed. Just install the original factory tin dust cover over the top bearing.

Yes, the old lower race makes a nice "tool" to install the new races and lower bearing.

Back