Aluminium lower yoke

Pipes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys,have any of you tried (or know of any info on the subject) fitting a aluminium lower yoke/tree in place of the original steel version.
To be more precise,I currently have a set of FZR400 yokes,alu upper,steel lower and I am toying with the idea of using a second upper,boring it to suit the stem,pressing it on giving me a matching set of alu yokes..

Why I hear you cry,well why not...and here lies another question...Is it possible/safe?...Do I bore the yoke slightly smaller than the stem and do I need a tapered stem in aluminium.(something I read on the net)

Any help or advice appreciated :)

There are many bikes that run alloy top and bottom yokes. Many aftermarket and flat track yokes also are alloy. The only issue I see is that in many factory designs the top yoke since it doesn't generally take as much load has a thinner cross section and thus is less strong. This is especially true in the web sections in between the stanchion clamps and stem.
If your trees are fairly consistent cross section then you might go for it without issue. If however they scrimped on material there I would look at another option.
Perhaps another bike model trees that use the same tube diameter.

Cheers RC4MAN..I'll take a look when I get to work at the cross section.I did think about some bespoke yokes from a shop but I am trying to keep to a sensible budget.
I have seen a few aluminium top and bottoms as standard but I need them to fit 38mm fork legs.I wanted slightly bigger rwu stanchions but not too big.I know the R6 fork option is normally the go to but I wanted to do something different.I may bite the bullet and go that route yet but I might have a play with what I have first.

Back