Another (Cheap) Meter Damper Option

SEd27

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Found another meter damper option for our gauges.

I know the originals are now being reproduced, but Xs650direct is out and mine had started to disintegrate.

Picked these up at the hardware store for about $8 each Canadian.

They are a nice tight fit and do not interfere with the trip meter knob.

I will probably add self adhesive weather strip around the body of the gauges to help further insulate from vibrations.

We’ll see how long they last.

IMG_1469.jpeg
IMG_1484.jpeg
IMG_1485.jpeg

1A0_83513_00_00__18714.jpg

Your idea is okay, but the stock damper (which can be bought OEM, not a reproduction), does more that just fill the gap between the cup edge and the meter bezel edge. It also fills the space between the cup wall and the meter housing wall. So, you definitely need need to add your weather-strip.

View attachment 322690
Your idea is okay, but the stock damper (which can be bought OEM, not a reproduction), does more that just fill the gap between the cup edge and the meter bezel edge. It also fills the space between the cup wall and the meter housing wall. So, you definitely need need to add your weather-strip.
Thanks for the heads about being still being able to get oem. I will have look into sourcing.

My option was more of a stop gap/ cheap alternative for when the correct part was not readily available.

View attachment 322690
Just as you say. To be clear, without proper dampening, the clocks will be vibrated to death in short order. That includes the dampers on the bottom where they bolt up.

Another option is the rubber ring that sits between the clocks glass face and the top of the plastic bucket, if one has a supply of broken clocks taking up space.......seeing as how it's already a part designed for vibrations.
So far, so good.
Me? Cheap? More like resourceful.

Back