Any shortwave listeners?

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I got a portable shortwave radio the other day at a flea market. It's really a pretty good one. Some of the stuff you receive on it is pretty fringe. Last night I picked up what's called a "numbers station" which was a woman reading numbers in Spanish. Those broadcasts are very common and widely known to be encoded messages for spies. Very freaky stuff. There are examples of lots of short wave weirdness on youtube if you want to hear.

We used to listen to WWV for the exact time to set our clocks. They also did Ocean weather too. I listen to shortwave now and again to get some europeon music. I learned long ago what hot here my not be hot there. Usually better stuff there!

I remember listening to the first gulf war on the shortwave set with my mother when I was little. Ive been really interested in getting another one for a long time.

hi years and years ago when i was about10-12,, i used to visit an old guy called john knox in canterbury in melbourne australia,,,, he was a ham radio nutt case,,, we would spend all weekend building crystal sets and fiddling with ham radio set ups there would be 3-4 of us kids ,,it was great ,,we hardly slept .. regards oldbiker

Last edited:
Back in the early '70's I put together a tube-type Heathkit short wave receiver that was a blast to listen to - you can still find them on eBay sometimes.

Back