Barn find 1970 XS1 lives!!

Zeus87

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Bought it last year from the original owner, I have the receipt from the dealership along with the ID card, and owners manual. I plan to restore/ride and enjoy this machine. I have put some time into cleaning the carbs, going through the wiring harness and replacing the exhaust, this was all pre-start up. 3 hours worth of kicking and fooling with wires and she runs like a champion!! thanks to MIKESXS.com, i am very happy with the replica headers and commando mufflers. Side covers are original and near mint, tank is getting sprayed original candy green. Funny story, the original owner filled in where the badges previous mounted and painted to tank to try and hide the Yamaha haha. His buddys all had European bikes and he was sick of the criticism.

Let them criticize, at least you didn't have to carry a drip pan with you to catch the oil and put it back in the engine.
Oh, good score on a very cool bike. Sounds very nice.

Ok, dumb question. On the left hand light control setup ( directionals, hi-low bean) what is the other vertical slide for? ThAnks!

Those pipes sound great! It'll be interesting to see what you think of their road performance...... I personally like the sound and performance of mine through the entire range of speed and rpm.

That's cool. I love barn finds. I still have this dream of walking into a garage or barn and finding an old bike. I don't care what it is, but just want to find one.

Hijack!!
I was talking the other day with a MSF instructor who comes in my shop. He said he was talking to some students (complete novice class) and one lady swore up and down that Harley's are the best bikes because her husband says so. He said after talking to her he found out she has never ridden and he husband has one 'cuz all his friends do and it's the only bike he's ever ridden. Talk about brain washing. He asked if they have never ridden any other bikes then how did they come to that conclusion? She didn't know apparently. He can't wait for the classes to start. My father-in-law has a Yamaha Road Star and gets a lot of crap from his Harley buddies. Of course he has been riding since 1959 and has had BSA, Triumph, Harley, Honda, other Yamaha's, and a couple more. He loves his Road Star and has 51 yrs of riding experience, "so they can kiss my ass". 70 yrs old and it doesn't, "shake my nuts off" he says.

Double hi-jack!!....sorry

Ahh - the Harley Davidson propaganda machine still at work....
I used to work in a HD dealership (2.5 yrs) as well as Honda BMW Kawasaki the majority of the business was HD though, I do like the HD's but have never owned one prefer to rebuild my own cycles.
You are right littlebill - the wifes were the most loyal supporters,but most didnt ride - just liked to see their old man on the ever powerfull HD...

Last edited:
Back