Bike keeps burning out LEDs, Voltage regulator?

pablohoney

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi there!
I have recently turned my 1979 xs650 special's dash into led idiot lights. I used 12v LEDs from radioshack. And they worked great for a while but now the neutral light is burnt out again. I figure it is the first to go because it is on more of the time. I think that it burned out because when I turn off the ignition it blinks brightly for a split second. A surge? I think that is the problem because it burned out when I turn the ignition off/on a few times. Think that the V/R is the problem? Thanks

pablohoney,

When you turn off the ignition, there is a surge of high voltage from the inductance in the wiring, mainly the rotor winding inductance and the ignition coil(s). You can install a surge protecting device or just a diode in reverse to protect the LED. You could also get in the habit of turning the kill switch off first before you turn off the ignition.

You might try LED's with a higher voltage rating. Like 15 or 18 volts. They will handle the surge better. Maybe slightly dimmer but still bright enough.
Leo

Back