carburetor spitting fuel

Update: I think we have a winner! I dug out my compression tester and bingo, nothing on the left hand side. I realized I didnt do a compression test after I changed out the valve stem seals over the fall. Duh! 🤦‍♂️ Its been sitting since then. I hope/doubt its a ring issue, but ill do the oil test to be sure.

Time to try some cleaning (https://www.xs650.com/threads/the-meatball-mechanic-low-compression-fix.11693/) and see if its carbon. I know its not stuck because I can see the valves move in the spark plug hole when I turn the engine. Crossing my fingers that its just not seating quite right rather than a bad seat or bent valve.

Almost the whole dang pack of us (except for Jim) violated Carburetor Troubleshooting Rule 1: "Everything Else First." Sorry about that, Fjfreude; should have suggested a compression check right at the git-go.

Almost the whole dang pack of us (except for Jim) violated Carburetor Troubleshooting Rule 1: "Everything Else First." Sorry about that, Fjfreude; should have suggested a compression check right at the git-go.

Its all a learning process for me. Now I know to check compression after valve work every time. Shoulda known better, myself. Plus, I got my carbs nice and extra clean and even tested to make sure the coils/wires are working. Both me and the bike are all the better for it.

Did a teaspoon oil test, still no compression so its not rings. Took off the exhaust and found the likely culprit. Cant see any evidence for bent valve, so thats narrowing it down. Fingers crossed. Carbon is the best possible problem at this juncture.
20220530_113305.jpg

Back