Cargo Tube Mounting Location?

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hello, guys.

I'm considering trying to mount a cargo tube. The item I want to use is actually a stainless steel canister that's about 8" long and 4.5" in diameter... sort of like a mason jar in form and function.

I was considering mounting it (with some really nice muffler straps) horizontally between the frame rails in front of the crankcase, below the level of the head. But will I run into cooling issues if I do that? If so, I might have to abandon the notion or find another mounting location, such as getting a bit creative and mounting it behind the cafe seat somehow.

Thoughts welcome!

TC

Yes, it will affect your cooling. xsjohn did a bunch of tests with just oil coolers and the head temps increased. With something blocking the air flow it would be more dramatic than his tests. Probably should stick to something behind your engine or lower on the frame so it doesn't affect your cylinders. Mold one into a chin spoiler might be an option depending on your tastes.

I haven't noticed any problems with mine. the engine mount is out of the airstream for the cylinder heads.
100_1600.jpg

Guys, the term "chin spoiler" got my attention. I don't have those skills, but this canister would be mounted right about where the lowest point of a chin spoiler would be... in front of the case, at or below the level of the front engine mount. I also am running cold air plenums that I'm experimenting with, if you care to look in my gallery.

TC

Believe it or not, I got it at a gourmet cooking place at a local outlet mall, and thought it might work for what I want to try. It might look really neat mounted with two slotted chrome muffler straps that I have, complete with black rubber anti-shock/vibration strips. No markings... just a nice looking stainless can with a watertight flip lid. Might be attractive and functional if I can mount it right.

I missed the part "below the level of the head" you should be fine. Not much cooling going on in the lower end.
My buddies Roadstar Warrior has a chin spoiler. Seems to fit the look of his bike. I may do some experimenting if I ever build a cafe or bar hopper to see what it will look like on an XS. That might be a good place for a tool kit or some minor electrical components.

Back