Castles, bridges and other aspects of the Scottish Borders

The other day, I mentioned the wee village of Midlem. So today, when I went out for a chuff on the Royal Enfield, thought I would take some pictures of the place.

The houses, and there aren't more than a few score of them, are spaced apart round a village green. Which, although Midlem is a pretty village, makes it not easy to photograph. But we stopped outside the village hall and took pictures facing and away:

View attachment 238562View attachment 238563

The corrugated village hall is very typical of ones built in the first half of the last century. Nearly every village in the Scottish Borders has one. Some are neglected but clearly there is enough community spirit among Midlem residents for the village hall to be well-maintained and by the look of it well-used.

Busy notice boards and they advise of events still in the future. Isn't it sad when the fading, curled up notices on a village board exhort you to attend last year's Christmas bring-and-buy sale or a coffee morning with a date well in the past? But not here.

And we even had some welcome March sunshine.
Yeah, the wriggly tin village hall has made the odd appearance here, too.
I used to pass one every time on the run from Livingstone to Leadhills, I think it was in Carnwath.

Hope this is the right place?

When I joined this forum, given a very friendly welcome, Bob (Mailman) was previously unaware of the Scottish Borders. I promised once I was out and about on the XS I would put up some photos of this little corner of the planet.

So I propose to come here every now and again and post castles, bridges, maybe other landmarks and general views. That might give some kind of impression of this region. And how it contrasts with Bob's home in Arizona.

We can't really get out and about just now for Covid reasons. But serviced the wee Honda today and used that as my excuse, and I'm sticking to it, for a quick trip.

You asked for castles?

View attachment 168476

Greenknowe Tower is the commonest type of castle in the Borders. And it's just a few miles along the road.

It's a fortified house, also called a peel tower. Life in these parts was dangerous in the Middle Ages. Anybody who could afford to would build their house in the form of a little castle so there are many of them. Most are ruined, like Greenknowe. Like many others, the roof fell in long ago, but the walls are mostly intact. They were really built! Sometimes people buy one and renovate - takes a lotta time and probably a lotta money. You end up with your own castle, a house which looks imposing from the outside but inside is probably smaller than it looks, due to those thick walls, with inconvenient internal layout, and unless very well done cold and draughty. For prospective buyers, Greenknowe also is also said to have its own ghost.

View attachment 168477

The rough stone finish, corner turrets and crow-stepped gables are all very typical features.

Land marks?

View attachment 168478

The three volcanic summits of the Eildon Hills are visible from most parts of the central Scottish Borders. The central peak is 1435 feet high but they manage to be imposing due to the stand-alone location. And the Eildon Hills are local enough I can go out the door and walk up them.

In fact, first climbed the middle Eildon at age two so they have been part of my life for a long time. So here's another view:

View attachment 168479

Looking along the wooded Tweed Valley towards Galashiels. The river Tweed is hidden among the trees in the middle of the picture.
Wow. You are so (were so) kind in 2020 to share this...
I know... late to the party but very cool. Thank you.

Today, out for a jaunt, forty miles around some local lanes and minor roads. Took a camera and today actually remembered to stop and take a picture.

PICT0660.JPG

Typical Borders countryside - fields, woods, hills. There's an old castle, well a tower house, at the top of the hill with the delightful name Fatlips Castle.

If interested, https://www.fatlipscastle.com/

Last edited:
Been my intention to put up some pictures of Smailholm Tower. Like so many fortified houses in the Borders, Samilholm occupies a prominent, hilltop position and can be seen for miles around.

When I were a yoof, used to cycle to the tower, which was a dilapidated ruin, occupied by a few pigeons, no roof, piles of stones from the upper walls lying in the middle. Since then, it has been rebuilt by Historic Scotland and is now a visitor attraction. The road up to the tower is a loose track, ok for cars but daunting on two wheels. I went as far as the nearby farm on Miss November a year or two back but balked at the track.

But today, out on the RE, thought the Bullet is supposed to be reasonable as a trials bike, after all the Indian Army uses them to patrol tracks high in the Himalayas - 1/2 mile of loose track is nothing by comparison so gingerly rode up there. Felt ok, puttering along in 1st and 2nd gear.

PICT0662.JPG

The gaunt, forbidding presence is typical of a Borders fortified house. In the Middle ages, this was a very dangerous part of the world and people needed to defend the family and livestock from raiders. Strong walls, a defensible position, with a good view for miles to spot trouble approaching were all more important than windows.

A few more views around the sunny side, plus the car park.

PICT0663.JPGPICT0668.JPGPICT0672.JPG

Made our way home via Scott's View.

PICT0673.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, your little billy goat got you up the rocky hill! Never had any doubt! 😉
I think it’s so great that they are actively preserving such historically important sites for future generations. Is that building open for tours? I love going through places like that.

Yes, it's open for visitors. When it's open, there's staff to sell tickets and run a small giftshop. Sometimes Historic Scotland puts on small exhibitions in the tower. They are quite proud of Smailholm as an example of careful restoration, sympathetic to how it was originally built, and with traditional skills and methods used for the woodwork. The roof is a 'sustainable' turf living roof. There'a an open-air gallery walk each side of the roof, giving panoramic views over a large area.

In the second picture, you might be able to make out the 'crow-stepped' gables which are very much a traditional style of Borders and more widely Scottish architecture.

The bike was surely never going to have much trouble ascending a loose gravel road - the problem was always going to be the rider. I prefer a bike to feel sure-footed.

Came across a beautiful little video of a young couple riding motorcycles and exploring the Scottish Highlands, set to Scottish music, and yes there’s a castle or two…..and whiskey! 😉
I have travelled many a mile through beautiful Scotland on my CB750 Honda in days long gone. Some of the same roads depicted in this lovely video. Scotland really does have some of the best UK biking roads. Scottish scenery is more rugged than my wonderful Welsh mountain lands but all the better for it. Avoid the 'midge' season and you will have the time of your life. Great people, great roads, great Scotch; a Great Country.

<cough> Not quite.
Excellent wee video though. I've been most of those roads, but never had a vehicle on Skye. Flown in there a couple of times.
The Bealach na Ba near Plockton brought back some memories of an insane Wee Free fanatic who fired his shotgun over my friend's head for daring to hang out her washing on the Sabbath.
Still some fruitcakes around, you have to watch for them, just like the sheep.

Just local puttering about this morning. Thought should take some pictures of the green Borders countryside and lush woods for those like Bob experiencing 100° days as Summer gets underway.

PICT0702.JPGPICT0703.JPGPICT0711.JPG

Scott's View; the gorse bushes filling the air with their rich coconut aroma; and a walk through the woods to:-

PICT0708.JPGPICT0710.JPGPICT0709.JPG

William Wallace's statue, and the view he eternally looks out over. Our village lies within that view.

For them as don't know, Wallace was a 13th century Lord who led a Scottish army to Victory over the English at the battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297 and is seen today by many Scots as a hero. The 31 foot high statue, commissioned by David Stuart Erskine, Earl of Buchan, was erected in 1814.

Just local puttering about this morning. Thought should take some pictures of the green Borders countryside and lush woods for those like Bob experiencing 100° days as Summer gets underway.

View attachment 243064View attachment 243065View attachment 243066

Scott's View; the gorse bushes filling the air with their rich coconut aroma; and a walk through the woods to:-

View attachment 243068View attachment 243069View attachment 243070

William Wallace's statue, and the view he eternally looks out over. Our village lies within that view.

For them as don't know, Wallace was a 13th century Lord who led a Scottish army to Victory over the English at the battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297 and is seen today by many Scots as a hero. The 31 foot high statue, commissioned by David Stuart Erskine, Earl of Buchan, was erected in 1814.
Nice photos Raymond; plenty of history around your part of the world.

Back