Chili

Kevin Werner

Amatuer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I make exactly 1 pot of Chili each year. I make it for a fund raiser Chili Cook off for the local Sea Scout orginization annual fund raiser. I am the returning Champion this year. My prize winner 2 years ago (China Virus hiatus last year) featured no canned spices, no canned tomatoes, no canned beans. I soaked the dried beans, par boiled and peeled the tomatoes and bought every pepper the grocer had on the shelf. Anahiem, Poblano, cayenne, red, green, yellow, habenero, jalapeno, cabenera and ground black peppercorn. I cleaned the peppers of seeds and added lots of the milder and few of the hotter. Ground beef and ground pork was the meat. I did buy already made broth. I try to make a Chili that is more flavor than hot. I serve a little square of corn bread with the chili sample and I rush to get a position as close to "just to the right of the entrance" as possible (You want judges to taste your chili before the later hot ones burn their taste buds). I just found a really good deal on Pork Loin Tips so they are in the freezer for the chili next month. Does anybody have a good idea for a pork loin tip chili? And no, I don't scratch my ball when making chili.;)

Beans… a heated debate in the world of Chili.
I play to the audience. Most expect beans, some expect noodles.:D:D:D It is a fun "Fund Raiser" with raffles, silent auctions, etc. The Sea Scouts locally accept every kid and figure a way to cover the $25 yearly fee for those who don't have $25. There will be "Bison Chili, "Elk Chili", "Venison Chili", and probably a ""Chocolate Bourbon" Chili (again).

I will have to look for tomatillos.
He's making green chili and it's quite different. I think it favors pork cut into small chunks as opposed to ground meat.

We (my wife) make a lot of chorizo chili as we have a great source for chorizo. No beans!

I also make traditional chili without beans as I'm off carbohydrates. I prefer chunks of pork for meat, but when my wife cooks it she prefers ground beef. We've altered our recipes to exclude all processed ingredients for health reasons. I do my best to avoid GMO produce as well, but that isn't easy in the US. Labeling isn't required.

@teamWicked, I could not live on one pot alone. I love the stuff in all it's variations. Three years ago at a chili cook-off, I had a particularly good one. It had a bit of breakfast sausage in it to alter the flavor. Very nice indeed.

I make 1 pot and try to make it a little better than a standard chili. My wife makes "her" recipe and it is very good with tomatoes sauce, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, canned beans, a tsp of this and a Tbs of that. I like to see what I can come up with just using real 🌶. :D

Back