Clutch issues..

Rustychopper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone new to the 650 forum. For some reason the search feature isn't working. I've owned and tore apart xs1100 for a while still ridding a hatdtailed xs1100. Recently finished up a xs 650 chopper/hardtail. Before I tore it down motor and everything worked flawless. Now that its together and ready for finishing touches the clutch is being testy. I've I rev the heck out of it it will barely move then get to a roll and grab and go like it should. If I don't rev it to heck it will stall. I can trouble shoot and prob figure it out was wondering what to look at on these 650s first or maybe a few tips. I've never cracked into one. Maybe keep me from making a 650 rookie mistake. Ill post pics of the bikes when im not on a cell

Posted via Mobile

Go to the home page. On the right side you'll see a list of topics. Click on the clutch one. In there you will one title " all about clutches" or something like that. I'm on a Blackberry so I'm limited.
INXS has a bunch of good info in there and troubleshooting.

Basically all you need to know is in the "tech" section. Top of page. I don't know why I always say home page. Probably 'cuz that is the first place I go to.

I got it thanks I've read alot of them. Not answering my question so far but im still reading

Posted via Mobile

What you have is called clutch drag. So the push rod could be bent, plates warped or stuck, not adjusted correctly. Usually it's either not adjusted correctly or the plates are stuck together. Double check your adjustment. Might have to push start it then pop in second gear to free the plates. Make sure you are properly adjusting the clutch per manual.

could the 'fingers' of the clutch basket be grabbing the clutch disks? If there is grooves were the clutches need to slide, That could do it too.

Make sure you aligned the little mark on the clutch center to the pressure plate too. It's the little hole on the pressure plate and a little dimple on the clutch center. If misalighned it can cause the clutch to rub.

That's done from outside the case? Im getting ready to crack it open. I adjusted and tried 4 times to no avail it helped a tiny tiny bit but I think its somthing internal. It wont grab at all and somtimes it does. Its almost like the clutch doesn't fully disengage I have to rev like high hell to get through the stick then it boggs the bike down

Posted via Mobile

You have to take the cover off to view the indexing of the clutch. However, if the clutch was working fine before, and it has not been taken apart, then that would not be the cause of the problem.

Attachments

• ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 71
It worked ok before it was broke down. I wouldn't say it was perfect. It hasn't run for 2 years before now all fluids changed flushed etc. Im gonna just gonna trouble shoot I guess. Its a 75 any common problems to look for first?

Posted via Mobile

If it hasn't run in 2 years then I'm sure the plates are stuck together. You have to get it going and pop it into gear. Gotta hill? With the rear wheel not turning it will stall, so if you can get it rolling, while running, then pop it into second, and dump the clutch it usualy frees them.

I did that in 1st and 2nd I was only pushing on a flat surface though a hill would work or tow it with the atv. Thanks for the help guyss

Posted via Mobile

Back