custom tank and side cover emblems

If you are partial to the British look, I am working on some side cover (standard) badges from 1/4 inch aluminum. Attached some pics of the process. Seeing as I am using a home made milling table, they will not be show quality, but from a few feet away.....not too bad. Making 4 sets, keeping one, and maybe selling the other 3 if they come out okay. The pics show my "practice" pair with a paper insert to size the font with.

Also did a couple of tank badges that I want to refine over the winter. One way or another I'd like to do them in metal so they can be polished properly. Right now, they are resin with foil for the bright work. If there is some demand, I may consider doing a batch to sell.

My spare tank is a the painters this week. Once I get it back, I will post some pics, for now check out my album.

resto

xs650-badges-1.jpg

xs650-badges-2.jpg

xs650-badges-3.jpg

xs650-badges-4.jpg

xs650-badges-5.jpg

sorry, this one's on its ear, but it's the one my friend did on my bike when it was owned by the guy who redid it:

full

Im doing the bike Black and Red, minor touches really and would like the emblems red.I looked at the stock emblems on the 79 Special and there a little to detailed to paint as there is a outline of the letters. I looked at a couple on Ebay but nothing I liked.

Let me find out from the guy who painted the tank. It appears to have some depth to it if you run your hand over it, but then is under a coat of some kind of clear coat.

I heard back. it's a vinyl sticker put on the paint on the tank then clear coat sprayed.

The badges are based on the triumph badge, but its curve was all wrong so I had to modify them and recast them in resin. Not overly happy with the foil finish, it doesn't like curved surfaces. Going to make some better ones over the winter.

Learned a crap load about silicone molding in the process.

My painter just brought back my spare tank with a coat of blue on it (its been wet sanded so the finish is dull for now). I just finished masking the scallops and he is shooting them in silver and clear coating the tank tonight. Can't wait to see it. Only thing left is some pinstriping where the two colors meet.

Hope to have it on the bike this weekend for more pics.

pic81.jpg

pic86.jpg

pic99.jpg

spare tank-1.jpg

spare tank-2.jpg

spare tank-3.jpg

I would buy them .The chrome with the white enamel look very authentic , meaning if Japanese designers knew what they were doing thats what XSs would have had on them in the 1st place.

I was thinking about getting my side covers chromed on my '78 standard , if it doesn't cost too much. I think that would be a good look.

I would buy them .The chrome with the white enamel look very authentic , meaning if Japanese designers knew what they were doing thats what XSs would have had on them in the 1st place.

I was thinking about getting my side covers chromed on my '78 standard , if it doesn't cost too much. I think that would be a good look.

Going to recast the badges over the winter so that there isn't as much detailing work to be done once they come out of the mold. If I decide to make a batch for sale, they would be in the form of a white resin blank. It takes a lot of hours to finish them and I don't want to spend that much time on it. Part of the casting process requires an actual gas tank, so that the back of the blank is curved properly. I have a spare Special Edition tank, but need another Standard one so I can make blanks for each. The one I used to make this pair is the tank that is now painted. Am going to try and find a substitute for the foil finish also. Looking at a product called Liquid Chrome but it is pricey. Looks like I have something to do this winter.
blank-1.jpg

Got my tank back from the painter today. Came out really nice, the pictures don't do it justice. Temporarily stuck on the badges with double side tape. Going to put it on my bike this weekend and take some pics outdoors where the lighting is better.

paint-1.jpg

paint-2.jpg

paint-3.jpg

paint-4.jpg

paint-5.jpg

paint-6.jpg

Back