Do people think your XS is a Triumph

Boy, I don't understand all the hatred for the HDs? LOL. I mean sure there are goobers that are all "HD is the best and nothing else matters", but don't let em spoil the view of all of us!

Last spring I jumped on an 883 Iron to test ride it since I like the way they look. I had to put up with a bunch of fat white trash guys making fun of me for wanting to ride the 'girl bike' in the shop. That's when I decided I was just going to buy a pile of XS650 parts and build it up myself.

I won't own harleys for the same reason I won't own camaros and mustangs. Nothing wrong with the machines themselves, but the stigma of being associated with all these other owners is enough to keep me far away.

And once you get past all the dirtbag Sons of Silence white trash criminals, then you run into the shallow end of the gene pool sedated yuppies with no creativity or taste in anything classy or tactful. Riding their stretched choppers like they see on Discovery Channel. Probably the same people who mistake an XS650 for a british bike. Nothing wrong with them and their ignorance other than I have nothing in common with them and I don't want to waste my time talking to them.

I understand that there are completely normal people riding Harleys. I know a handful and am friends with them. Most of those guys also own Triumphs and some sort of Japanese bikes. And the kicker is that they work on their own bikes. Most people I find annoying know nothing about working on their own machines. They fix their problems with a checkbook.

I've been treated like crap by way too many motorcycle shops because of what I'm riding, so now I just have an isolationist stance on most things motorcycle related because most of the people around here that ride are idiots on harleys or crotch rockets and it ruins the image of any of the rest of us out enjoying the ride. I fix my own crap, I ride alone, and if I need some sort of kinship, I just hang out online like this with like-minded folks. I hate bike shows, cruise-ins, poker runs, or whatever else motorcycle culture stuff goes on around here.

Sorry for the rant! Carry on ;)

I ride a Kawasaki W650 that is constantly mistaken for a Triumph. People can't read.

I believe Hosk copied the 500cc Horex,then financial problems caused them to sell out to Showa,who then developed the 650 cc design.In 1960 Showa was bought out by Yamaha,who then went on to produce the xs 650,based on the Horex/Showa design.if you look at a Horex engine you can definitely see the resemblance.

grizld1, and thus the "When I was about 12, I heard..." I'm not much on bike history. I'm sure at least half of what I think is fact is fiction. Woteva.

jay760, no, he was just a knucklehead (not the Harley version of course.)

smokenjoep01, there are enthusiasts and there are... enthusiasts. And since Biker Buildoff, OCC etc. the gulf between the two has widened considerably. Besides, anybody that's ever been to an event knows that half the people there don't know their ass from their elbow. Being a biker has become trendy. Ugh...

Well, Teebs again, is correct in his assumtions. (did I spell that correctly?) There are enthusiasts, but then again there are motorcyclists. I do not claim to be other one. Just a damn shithead (or is it asshat?) who has an unusual draw to things mechanical. I will say, however, I greatly admire Harley Davidson, (even though I have never really ridden an actual factory bike, just modified versions). There has never been a company that has had such brand loyalty. How many guys have you seen with "Yamaha" tattooed across there neck? Yeah, you can say there are more technically advance bikes, lighter bikes, even better looking bikes, but they're still not Harleys. Interesting shit, yes? Funny thing is, true Harley guys bitch about every technical advance made. Damn Evos, twin cams, and holy shit! Fuel injection! (straight out of the now defunct Delphi)Yet, to them, there is only one bike, Harley Davidsdon. I do bow down to THAT kind of loyalty

I really could go on for a long time, but who'd really care? I couldn't agee more with Luketrash. Ride what you want for the reasons that give you joy. Simple. I do agree,though, the Iron 883 is a tough looking ride. I wanted one too.

BTW, now you're the king of the ass-hats now Teebs? Self proclaimed I gather? I've seen bigger. Hope I didn't mispell anything. LOL! You are 12 aren't you ?....13?

I think the same of people who mistake my Yam for a Triumph as I do the people who mistake my Triumph for a Harley. You can guess what I think of them. Just because someone stands on two legs and makes babbling sounds doesn't mean I want to listen to them.

Tom Graham, who knows everything. ;^)

Personally, I would take it as a compliment if someone mistook my XS for a bike of British manufacture. And the Kawasaki W650 (one of my all time favorite bikes) doesn't resemble a British bike merely by coincidence.

Having built ridden a Harley for many years , its funny but I allways liked my Yamaha, and sold all the Harleys. My good friend from school still has all of mine he owns 28 of em 5 were mine.They sure like their Harley's but I like my Yami better

thats the most common thing people say is thats a nice old triumph but i ride a harley too but i wanted to build some thing ova the winter and this was the best thing that fit my budget i had fun building it and now its time to have some fun riding it i guess i like anything with wheels and a motor

Same here, I am a new Guy here, and I LOVE My Street Tracker. I also have several Harleys, an Indian and about 25 Hondas, Kaws, and Yams. Im not rich. Im not a wannabe, I wrench on My own bikes, and I wear a helmet, not a do-rag. I am by no means a Harley-snob. Sure, I love to ride My Harley, but dont hate on Me for it....

I love Harleys. But then I loved the '81 GS250t I had when I was 14 and miss that little scoot to this day. Just saying that I love bikes, and I almost inevitably get along with anyone who feels the same. I've ridden and would ride ANYTHING with two wheels...

I own 5 ride-able bikes. One of them is a Harley chop that I built close to 20 years ago. The majority of my friends ride American iron and they rib the hell out of me every time I go out on a metric scoot, but it's just ribbing from good friends over riding with their "little yellow brother".

The problem is that the vast majority of Harley owners these days are Harley-snobs. Thankfully, you're not one of them.

Well I have to say that I now own a sorta HD . The one form the Rat post. also own honda's trumphs, Norton's ,BMW's, Yamaha's, just to name a few.
Going to own a AJS 350 one of these days and a EMW as well .

Now I have not ridden my xs650 as yet . As need to order new clutch cable and throttle cables. Build the two into one intake and make a seat , install a rear fender etc...
I know why I like the XS and the reason is it reminds me of the brit bikes . And I like brit bikes. Heck I like all bikes never mide the make .
My daily ride is a 07 scrambler .And in the near future it will be the xs
So if some old guy ( you know like my age ) mistakes my xs for a trumph that he use to ride back in the 60s. Well that's cool by me as he is living the good old days when he was a kid .

Well yes mine does get confused with a British bike . Triumph I hear, BSA, is that a Norton? I get it too . . not sure why?

Attachments

• DSC_05130003.jpg
    DSC_05130003.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 107
Mine does and I do not have it on the road yet. Passer-bys stop and inquire as to it's make. Tony C

Attachments

• PA090010.JPG
    PA090010.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 158
Back