Downeaster's Shadetree Marine and Bait

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I lied about the bait part...

Good ol' Dale the Builder has come up with another one. Years back, somebody parked a derelict sail boat and trailer at "The Mill" which is the grounds of an old sawmill he bought from my Father-in-Law waaaaay back. The mill is long gone, but it's reputation as a junk yard soldiers on.

So anyway, he got tired of looking at it but thought it had a "good" motor in it. He basically tore the boat away from the engine/trans/shaft/prop and what was left was a Yanmar Marine DIesel. 1 lung, 8 horse with a BIG freakin' alternator used to charge a pair of batteries to run the boat's electrics.

ym1.jpg

ym2.jpg

So far I've changed the oil and filter, purged the fuel system with fresh fuel and a new filter and pulled the starter off to check it out. At the moment, I can't see any reason why it won't run, just need to build a stand for it before I swipe the baddry out of one of my tractors and give it a whirl.

What do you hope to use it for? I would be happy to just sit there and listen to the motor run, especially under load. With the right size inverter you could keep the freezers going when the power is off plus a few lights.

What do you hope to use it for? I would be happy to just sit there and listen to the motor run, especially under load. With the right size inverter you could keep the freezers going when the power is off plus a few lights.

Per usual, I'm just going through it and getting it running. When or If Dale ever does anything with it is a whole other question.

Personally, I think it'd make a DANDY powered dory for putting around in the bay or as a tender.

Indeed....or it could be used to power a water cannon to encourage the interlopers in your little creek to seek an alternate location for their canoodling.

Between the diesel noise and plumes of exhaust smoke and the water blast, I’m sure they would see reason.

Indeed....or it could be used to power a water cannon to encourage the interlopers in your little creek to seek an alternate location for their canoodling.

Between the diesel noise and plumes of exhaust smoke and the water blast, I’m sure they would see reason.

I like the way you think...

Just be sure they get a look at the tire “snake” first - and oh yeah, have that camera set up too!

Hehehehe....

I might just sneak across the border and setup a little kiosk selling cheap underwear just down the road from DownEaster’s creek....I’ll bet I could make some good money. ;)

Last edited:

I trimmed a little too much off the front of the video, but once I got it bled it started right up and settled down to a nice thumpy idle. I might just have to see if I can talk Dale out of this thing...

Hey - that would make a great little putt-putt boat engine.

Does the gearbox have reverse?

Back