Expensive Day...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hopped in the truck to go get some underlayment for a project, turned the key and....clickety-clickety-click. Did manage to convince it to start and had NAPA test the battery. Bad, way down on cranking amps, charge state iffy. Well, after 11 years (OEM) I guess it don't owe me much. Swapped in a new AGM in the parking lot. $250 with tax for battery and one cable end.

Got home, unloaded the plywood, set up to cut it to size and halfway through the first cut, my Makita hypoid saw quit. Checked the obvious stuff - brushes, wiring, switch - and got it to run intermittently but not enough to cut with it. Motor windings look a little toasty in spots tho I didn't get any smoke or that "oh, shit" smell. Replacing it ain't gonna be cheap either, tho a little less saw will do anything I'm likely to take on at my advanced age.

Hadn't checked car batteries for several years.... then help'd a friend. Hers went bad.. off to the battery store... You have got to be kidding ! I remember $50.oo..out the door... now near two bills.... Why ? We even shopped around ......I needed a battery for my Xs650.... Battery's Plus .. $109,.oo.... it's still on the shelf .... 😎

Picked up an AGM for the sporty when I got it
only because that's what was in it, $110 from NAPA.
The XS will get a lead acid like I've always run.
I expect that to be a lot cheaper.

The AGM battery in my XS650SK is eight years old. It’s a Deka. NAPA Legend in that size is the same.
I’m not sure if I’ve ever received over two years service from a flooded wet cell. Perhaps I have, but I certainly don’t remember it.
Based upon that, the AGM is a bargain.

Back